joed2323

day time temps or night time temp

I live in upper michigan. Day time temps have been around 70 or above, sometimes high 60s. Night time temps have been around 50s, sometimes 40s.

When they say wait til your ground is warm enough to plant says 60-70s what does this actually mean., since the temps around here change from highs to lows? Sorry, I'm new at this and want to make sure I'm good to plant my corn...

I want to plant green beans and cucumbers and tomatoes but I believe I should wait longer to plant the tomatoes and cucumbers, or am I wrong about the cucumbers and tomatoes???

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>When they say wait til your ground is warm enough to plant says 60-70s

one takes a probe thermometer and sticks it in the dirt - about 2 inches down - that'll tell you how warm/cold your "soil" is.

joed2323

ok then, what time do I check the temp, morning or afternoon? obviously there would be a diff of temp between morning and afternoon temps

joed2323

my soil has got to be warm enough when the sun is just beating down on the dirt with afternoon temps in the 70s..

Lol can I use a thermometer the kind you stick under your tongue??

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>Lol can I use a thermometer the kind you stick under your tongue??

yes. those are usually glass and break easier than a metal probe, but a thermal-bobbiter is just a device to measure temperature.

(well, presuming it has sufficient min-max range...)

>>what time of day . . .

at two inches down, you're not likely to see huge differences between mid-night and 2 pm.

and,,, if it says "wait until the soil is 70 degrees" and you're seeing 69 - like ,,,, some common sense need apply - plant away, close enough.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree, the temperature they are talking about is soil temperature and the soil temperature a few inches down does not vary as much as you would think.

If you go down far enough, it doesn't vary at all -- e.g. Mammoth Caves stays at 55 degrees night and day year around.

joed2323

good enough! I'm going to plant away!!!

Except for tomatoes and cucumbers I will wait a lil longer for them as well as green beans

joed2323

btw we have a plastic digital thermometer just don't tell my wife I'm using it in the garden :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have never put a thermometer in my ground.

I base my planting around the average last frost date. If you don't know what that is, Google it. There is plenty of info on the internet.

Early cool weather crops can be planted six weeks before that date. Potatoes two weeks before that date. Corn ten days before that date. Squash and beans a week before that date. Melons on that date. I wait until a week past that date to plant tomatoes and peppers out and to plant cukes from seed.

Of course this sched may change a bit from year to year depending on weather and how the season is progressing.

If the lilacs are blooming you can plant corn, squash and beans.

klevelyn
Cool Member

I am in zone 4 and I plant my tomatoes and cucumbers and beans after May 31 st. Onions and spinach can be planted as soon as you can dig in the dirt.

It does change from year to year. But my water hose is still freezing at night even though it has been in the 70's during the day.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I am not sure but it could be that the agricultural agency (and land-grant university) in every state has one of these:

[url=https://www.agweather.geo.msu.edu/mawn]Michigan State University and Michigan Agricultural Experiment Station (click)[/url]

The location is not always (ever ;) ) greatly useful for a gardener with a backyard . . . but, it can give you a general idea about what is going on in your soil.

Mid-day is something of a traditional or official time for measuring. But, don't take some of the advice the garden experts have on such things too much to heart. Soil temperature is critical for seeds and for root growth but take into account the experts' above-ground climate and their local constituency. We see examples here of Utah gardeners (arid, high elevation) who could easily make mistakes if they just followed afternoon highs or average daily temperatures or, even, a somewhat consistent soil temperature.

Gardening is local and success takes experience. I dearly love "rules of thumb" but that experience thing is just how gardening is.

Steve's digits, including thumb

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”