nes
Green Thumb

Flowering Rhubarb

My rhubarb is staring to flower, and I'm just wondering what other people have done with theirs?

It's more then time to harvest some of the leaves, but I was thinking about leaving 1 or 2 to go to seed now. How easy are rhubarb to start from seed?

The rhubarbs are well established and right now they're HUGE! with the warm weather & rain we've been getting :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have been breaking the buds off as soon as I see them. I am not convinced it helps make more or better stems for harvest.

I haven't tried growing rhubarb from seed, though I did collect some seed last year. I should plant some I guess and see how it goes.

Actually, I don't even like rhubarb, but my wife does and I could sell some at market. I only have two plants, so don't get much.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Vanessa, I always remove the flowers and stem.

Our 4 plants are doing really well the last few years. They were root divisions from a plant that was in my parent's yard for 40 years. I know I've seen rhubarb that I thought was from self-sowing but I can't remember where.

I like rhubarb :wink: and DW made 3 rhubarb pies just a few days ago and I had another slice after lunch. . . . Lunch was scrambled eggs with loads of chives from the herb garden. There is a bag of red orach in the fridge . . . rhubarb, chives and orach -- these are the only things we have harvested from the open garden so far this year. (There have been several servings of bok choy but they are growing in a plastic tunnel, transplanted out of the greenhouse.)

There's easily enuf rhubarb for another 6 pies!

Steve [img]https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/Just%204%20Fun/1sm209yum1.gif[/img]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”