NewGardenGuy
Newly Registered

Killing grass and weeds question.

Hi.

This is my first garden and it's going good so far beside all the weeds and grass left behind after tilling. My question is, is there a spray to spray on my garden to kill the left over growning grass and weeds but no hurt the Vegetables? I have a big garden and don't want to step on anything and would take all day to pull the grass and weeds, and is there a website that shows me what every vegetable sprout looks like just incase I have to pull them myself and not pull the wrong thing?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

This is a very common question that we recieve. There is no safe spray to use. If something is easy, it will usually have detrimental consequences.

The only tried, tested and true way to be rid of grass is to take a shovel and turn the grass upside down and break it up a bit with the shovel. Some people like to rotatill but, that is also easier and has it's own consequences.

So, my advice is to not use any poison at all as it will not only cause future ill effect on your soil and plant life but, also for you and your community.

I actually enjoy working out in the garden for a day turning over the sod and breaking it up. It's really quite rewarding the look at all the hard work I put into the garden at the end of the day.

Good luck and have fun!

garden girl
Cool Member

have fun, you make me laugh! Just kidding :wink: I have been digging new beds for a while this year and it has been very rewarding to see how much I've done. I'm glad I am taking the time to do it(now that I see some progress!!)

harleysilo
Newly Registered

I don't know where people are getting the information that spraying roundup will cause future ill effects on your soil, but I'd like to see the proof from a reputable web site.

I'd spary it, and wait the amount of time specified on the label before planting.

Tammy

hi, I love to dig new beds as well. I've used round up and also dug beds. Round up works great if there is nothing else planted. Unless and here is the key, put the roundup in a small spray bottle and make sure no wind or use cardboard around the plant you are spraying and spray gently. Early morning when the dew is still on is best. You can also use a paint brush for problem weeds. Be sure to follow directions.
I've dug and turned a bed and then the grass that did come up I used the small spray bottle. Remember to rotate your sprays on a yearly or bi yearly basis so as not to develope resistance.
Be careful, be safe and use as directed.
Organic is best and safest but some times we need a little help.
I am a farmer and we don't make a habit of useing herbicides or pesticides but there are times when we do.
I have used round up and then planted the same year and no problems.
Round up kills at the root. The one good thing about it is you can turn the dead plants into the bed and it composts in the garden.
good luck

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Harley, do a search in google for the MSDS of Glyphosate (the active ingredient in Round up) and look at this article in our site

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1749

The information I have provided is factual but if you are skeptical look up the MSDS to confirm.

Newt
Greener Thumb

NewGardenGuy, you might want to invest in a scuffle hoe. It has a sharp blade, is easy to use and severs the weeds just below the surface of the soil and won't disturb your mulch.
https://clients.ebluekey.com/files/26_ScuffleHoe.gif

Harley, here's some sites that should be helpful.
https://www.safe2use.com/poisons-pesticides/pesticides/organo/glyphosate.htm
https://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/glyphosate2.htm

Newt

Gardener Don
Cool Member

Hello New Garden Guy,
I would encourage you to try generic Glycophosphate. which is the same as RoundUp, but a lot cheaper. Read the directions carefully and dilute it exactly as it says. I think they recommend waiting 10 days before planting. However, when you tilled it, you probably tilled in a lot of roots that will sprout. It is a lot better to spray and wait the 10 days before tilling. You probably want to mulch a lot this summer to hold down weeds. Good Luck.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Gardener Don, please read the links in this thread provided by myself and Opabinia about gylphosate. NewGardenGuy asked for something safe. :) For more info see this site where it states:
https://www.gn.apc.org/news/alternet/062%2016-08-01.html
Local hospitals in the Putumayo region, where the fumigation is taking place, have reported increases in skin rashes, diarrhea and stomach aches. Not surprising, as glycophosphate is classified as "extremely poisonous" by the World Health Organization.
Newt

Gardener Don
Cool Member

Hello again,
I did read your site and understand your concerns. However, and there is always a however in life, you should note the concentrates that were used,lack of protection, and quarantine time for the product to degrade. I am very careful when spraying glycophosphate and protect myself from exposure and don't spray gallons of the stuff. There is no doubt, everything has some toxicity. Just try to plant veggies under a walnut tree or flowers where you have a lot of sunflower seed hulls in the ground. The question also stated he did not want to spend all summer pulling weeds and did not know a weed from a plant. Oh well, again, sorry for stirring you up pose we end this thread.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”