Jeremy brua

Transplanting zuchini

The ones I started sceem a little tall. When I trasnsplant them can I put them in deep? Or will they start to grow out more then up?

Thanks

mscratch

yes, deeper than the pot they will come out of.

Jeremy brua

Thank you!

applestar
Mod

Zucchini, like most squash, will grow roots from leaf nodes, so you can bury the stem and the leaf nodes as much as you like. This will help it grow larger root system that will help it grow stronger.

PhillyGardener

I didn't know this! I thought it was just tomatoes that could be planted deeper. What about cucumbers?
Zone 7b - Philadelphia, PA
FacePlant.us - Social Media for Gardeners

Jeremy brua

I was told pepper could be planted deep too. They wont root from the stem but it will help keep them from fallung over.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have long been of the opinion that squash does better planted from seed placed where the plant will grow. They don't seem to like their roots messed with. They also have a gigantic root system and starting them in pots gets their root all curled up. They could have an extensive root system when reaching the size of your transplants if started directly.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137ch32.html]Good paper on squash roots[/url]
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Kenzie

I planted my leggy, store-bought cucumber seedlings deep a few months ago and they're doing great with big, thick stems. Normally I would just start the seed straight in the ground (as I did with the other half of my cucs this year) but I couldn't find the seed I wanted locally, only plants.

I've done the same with all my peppers and it works fine.
McKenzie ~ Full-time wife and Mommy
-- Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible. ~Sharon Schuster
-- Live In The Sunshine ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:I have long been of the opinion that squash does better planted from seed placed where the plant will grow. They don't seem to like their roots messed with. They also have a gigantic root system and starting them in pots gets their root all curled up. They could have an extensive root system when reaching the size of your transplants if started directly.
This morning I transplanted a cucumber that I purchased from Home Depot on Sunday. It was in a tiny little pot (3" diameter?), but the plant was nearly 6" tall already. When I tore off the pot I saw only white, as the roots had completely filled in the pot. I could barely see any soil through the root fabric.

I shook it out a little bit and tried to tease the roots out, but I didn't want to do too much trauma, so I just planted and soaked it. We'll see what happens.

I sowed my pumpkin seed son 5/7 last year, and they were wayyyyy early. In 2010 I sowed on 6/20, and that year they were late (all green on Hallowe'en), so I'm probably going to sow early-mid June this year.

If I can get the sites prepped before then I may take your suggestion and direct sow. This is not guaranteed to happen, as the sight of seedlings outgrowing their pots is usually the motivator that gets me out of bed to go prep the sites :D. Practically speaking I am likely to get some of the sites prepped, but not all, which will default me into doing a controlled experiment in which some are direct sown and some are transplanted. Because, uh, I planned it that way. :D
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

Jeremy brua

I put them deep in a new pot two days ago and they are looking great. I should have them in the ground by the end of the month. Thanks again for all the help!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”