albucsfan
Cool Member

Zucchini transplants... Advice

So, the little princess decided she wanted her own garden this year. Separate from mine, better half took her to home depot & let her pick out some starts. I dug over a spot for her & planted them but I am afraid I damaged the zucchini trying to seperate the 4 plants in the one little pot. Anything I can do to help them bounce back? Or should I just get seed to plant beside the transplants & hope she doesn't notice?? She is only four & I would really like for her to have some success this year... The other plants are fine... Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Sprinkle some radish seeds on that bed and watch them come up and mature in hardly no time when compared to other vegetable plants.

As for the zucchini, I hope your area doesn't have problems with squash vine borers or your little princess will be very disappointed sometime after the initial harvest. Just plant a few zucchini seeds near the starts. They come up fast in this warm weather and are one of the plants I sow directly in the ground each year. For the reason you mentioned, they do not always transplant well. Same with cucumbers, beans and okra.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

"4 plants in the one little pot" -- those HD people should have their knuckles rapped for offering those that way!!!

All of those cucurbits are real tuff to transplant. They almost aren't worth it but I do it each of the past several years. Very early in their growth stage, invert plastic pot, drop a water-soaked clump of soil into my hand with the plant, gently place in a hole in the soil, cover like I'm tucking in a baby for a nap . . .

With zukes, I nearly always start some from seed in the garden about 6 weeks after setting out the transplants. Since they are so vulnerable to mildew, this gives me the option to pull the older plants and harvest from the youngsters late in the season. I often sow their seeds between early cabbage, harvest that and allow the zukes to grow. I think you should slip some seed in near the those that look like they won't make it.

Steve

albucsfan
Cool Member

Thanks... That's kinda what I was thinking... Will pick up new seeds today... She is very excited about her own garden so I am trying to make sure she has some success. She likes the idea of radishes a lot more than she likes actual radishes :lol: at least her tomato is doing well! I am pretty thrilled that she is taking an interest too... Even got her big brother to help her dig!!

albucsfan
Cool Member

Unbelievably, looks like all the zucchini plant have recovered and are doing well! :shock: they lost all the leaves they had when planted but are putting out new one and looking Much better than they did in the tiny pot. Little princess is sure that she brought them back from the brink! Awesome!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”