annastasia76

plant spacing for growing on trellis

I have searched the internet and have not come up with much. What is the plant spacing for vining squash, cucumbers, cantaloupe, etc when grown on a trellis

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

annastasia76 wrote:I have searched the internet and have not come up with much. What is the plant spacing for vining squash, cucumbers, cantaloupe, etc when grown on a trellis
I generally allow about 8 inches or so between cucumber plants when on a trellis. I also grow Japanese Yard Long beans on a trellis and they can be planted much closer so there is only about 4 inches between plants.

I've never grown squash on a trellis but have tried cantaloupe once with mixed success. If I remember right, I put the plants about 1 ft. apart. If growing melons on a trellis, you will have to support the fruit as it matures. I used my wife's old nylon hose around the fruit and tied to the wire of the trellis. That way the fruit wouldn't snap the stem as they got bigger and the hose expanded as the fruit grew.

annastasia76

thanks, I planted them at 12-18" apart, it seems just so close together though, once I get the other side worked up I might move some of those that I planted today.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”