Lintu

Lettuce yellowing

My lettuce (Salad Bowl and Buttercrunch) seems to be yellowing. The Salad Bowl looks worse than the Buttercrunch. We've had consistent rainy days with ~50-60 degree weather for weeks, but the plants are in an elevated raised bed with plenty of opportunity for drainage. (I was thinking too much water). Any other thoughts?

Lintu

I'm also noticing that it's hardly grown since I planted it. Temps have been ideal for lettuce, mostly in the 50s and 60s. Does anyone have any suggestions?

TheSilverSurvivor

You might just need to give them a drink of weak coffee or tea, and this is why...

Check your NPK ratios. Your local garden center should have testing kits that test nutrient levels and PH, and they're fairly easy to use. Yellowing is a sign of lack of nitrogen. If a plant needs water it will wilt, not change color. Lettuce needs high nitrogen and lower levels of phosphorus and potassium. If your nitrogen level is high, then it could be your soil’s PH level. Too high or low PH can make nutrients unavailable to your plants, regardless of the levels in the soil. There are natural ways to change your soil’s PH level, watering with a vinegar solution for instance if your soil is too acidic, or giving your plants a periodic drink of weak coffee or tea, which is not only acidic, but high in nitrogen.

Check out my article for more details

https://thesilversurvivor.blogspot.com/2012/04/organic-gardening-for-beginners.html

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”