Jeffross1968

Cucumber transplants drooping 15 minutes after planting

I have started some veggies from seed, including tomatoes and cukes. They are weeks old, and I have spent over the last week hardening them to the outside. This morning, I took them out and started planting. Cukes were first, and maters next. By the time I had planted the maters, several of the cukes have drooped, and are almost on the ground.

Any ideas?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Most folks just sow cucumbers and beans directly in the ground. They do not do quite as well when transplanted but they should survive. It is not unusual for newly transplanted seedlings to droop for a few days. Just keep them watered and they will likely do OK.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yup, it's called transplant shock. Give them a little water (but don't drown them) and they should perk up in a couple days. Seedlings are more prone to transplant shock if they weren't well hardened off first.

Jeffross1968

Ok, thanks. We're lucky in that it's a mostly cloudy day, which is why I thought today would be a good one to transplant them. I'll give em a little water as I see it dry up and keep my fingers crossed!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

When transplanting, always water the newly planted plants immediately. I suspect as others have said, if you water them they will perk up.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”