philjam

Brussel Sprouts

First time planting them in my garden. There is a groundhog but figure snow fence over the early ones will work for awhile. The groundhog will be harvested later so leave him out of this.
This is my first time for trying to grow Brussel Sprouts. I wonder if it is worth it.

Growing Brussel Sprouts looks like more fun than growing cabbages. Brussel sprouts are cuter and tastier.

What could possibly go wrong?

btrowe1

Plant them, water them,fertlize them, let them grow, last year mine were close to 4' tall, I had 9, some we picked early some we left till thanksgiving, very good growers very hardy..

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

philjam wrote:First time planting them in my garden. There is a groundhog but figure snow fence over the early ones will work for awhile. The groundhog will be harvested later so leave him out of this.
This is my first time for trying to grow Brussel Sprouts. I wonder if it is worth it.

Growing Brussel Sprouts looks like more fun than growing cabbages. Brussel sprouts are cuter and tastier.

What could possibly go wrong?
I plant them in early fall and they do well in my area of the deep south during our mild winters. I'll usually let most of the sprouts on the trunk and harvest most of them at the same time. I'll take some of the larger ones off the lower part of the stem for early use and use the upper ones that are smaller for pickling in a Bread & Butter brine. They are excellent prepared that way.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>What could possibly go wrong?

aphids. watch for 'em - they can infest a whole stalk in about an hour . . . (well, not really, just seems that way)

SPierce
Greener Thumb

This is my first year starting brussels sprouts earlier, and from seed- and so far so good. They've grown so large ever since the rain started rolling through, and I really hope I actually get some sprouts this year- can't wait! Here's hoping you good luck with yours ;D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”