dtlove129

Earth worm crazy sighting

Okay you people have me freaking out. Last year I never really looked at my garden at night except for when I had coons. I went out tonight because I keep reading about buds and slugs that come out ast night. Anyhow I was shining my light and not seeing anything until I saw this one thing dip back in a hole when the light hit it. Started looking closer and there were earth worms all over the top if the ground and I noticed that when the light hit them they ducked back in a hole. I have never seen that before and I have never seen worms move so fast. Now I know why the robins are all over my garden when I'm not in it. Anyhow just thought it was cool since all my life being around worms (fishing) I had never seen them act like that. Good news no pest yet.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

What? A fisherman who never heard of catching Night Crawlers? That is almost as much fun as catching the fish. Use a light that is not quite so bright so they don't spook as quick, sneak up on them and grab them. All my kids made mad money catching Night Crawlers.

dtlove129

Ah that makes sense.night crawlers. Never knew where that name came from for a fishing worm haha. I mean we used night crawlers too but we just dug our worms and I never knew there was a difference.

cubs204

My grandma had an instrument you would plug in with a long metal rod coming out of it. She would stick the rod in the ground and out would come hundreds of worms, which we would pick for fishing. I think it would shock them out.

DT- With all this rain Ive noticed tons of earthworms in the garden, as well as about 20 robins that like to hang out by the garden.

Fig3825

I saw a short lived show on animal planet some time ago where they do pretty much the same thing as the Mythbusters do, but the show is tuned to animals, insects and other creatures.

The myth was that you could coax worms to the surface by simulating rainfall on the surface of the ground. The worms fear drowning, so they come to the surface to avoid being submerged. They each made some contraption that they felt would simulate rain (by tapping on the ground somehow) AND IT WORKED!

What surprised me the most was how quickly the worms popped up on the surface and how MANY came up. It was crazy! And they also did this during the daytime... Apparently worms are more afraid of drowning than they are of drying out in the sunlight...

Sometimes you can see birds tapping with their feet when forraging for worms. Apparently, this is the same concept...

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

^^
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK-Oo7NwPiQ]Here's the video[/url]. It's pretty cool.

dtlove129

Thanks for sharing waterbug. I'm part redneck (ha) and it always amazing me as to what "rednecks" can come up with. Now since that mimics moles attacking them and brings them to surface, I wish I knew what mimics things that ate moles and ran them out of my yard and garden!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”