dtlove129

Last minute addition (okra) and question

I decided at the last minute that I would like some fried okra. Problem is I have planted most everything. I still have a roughly 10 foot by 25 foot of my garden left for what was going to be 3 rows of tomatoes and peppers (1 full row of each and 1/2 and 1/2 in the other). So Now I'm thinking 1.5 rows of tomatoes with 1/2 row of okra and then a full row of peppers.

I guess what I need to know is how much okra can I expect in a 12 foot row? According to what I found about 1 foot spacing that would give me around 12 okra plants.
John
2nd year gardner

Flatlander_MB

You will get enough to eat for yourself, for sure. I grew okra a couple years ago and planted a single 12 foot row that produced nicely. You won't get much to put up though. Just don't pick it with short sleeves...

Before I grew okra I thought it was a short, bushy plant. My okra grew to over 6' tall, much to my surprise (& delight). I love the blooms it produces, too.

Now I have a friend who grows a bigger patch of okra, and as long as I give him a few jars of the pickled okra I make he lets me pick as much of his as I want! 8)

dtlove129

Hmm, I even thought about giving up a row of my corn that I have already planted and then I could do a 40 foot row of okra there. I mean of course the corn is coming up already, but that row didn't seed as well and has some gaps so I could redo it with okra especially since I have 5 40 foot rows of corn and plan to try and get a late 2nd crop in with this 62 day corn seed that I bought.
John
2nd year gardner

dtlove129

Marling I think I have it. After getting home and doing some garden maintenance I layed out my last rows that I mentioned above. I think I had a little more room than I thought. I should be able to space between 2 rows of maters about 24-30 inches and then have a row of different peppers and 2 foot to the next row which will be okra and another close to 2 feet north of the okra us my broccoli. Little tighter than I had planned but hopefully okay since the broccoli wii come out early.
John
2nd year gardner

dtlove129

I hope so Marlin. My wife is tired of me spending money on it. I made those cuke trellesses that you can see in a previous post, put in drip irrigation, and have bought fertilizers and seeds and oh I bought a little greenhouse for my first year of starting seeds indoors. So it has been an expensive gardening season, but I told her that 75% of those costs are to save money later and will be reusable.

I think I'll be fine on the shade because my rows run east and west. So my whole garden gets pretty good morning sun, but I have a maple tree on the west that blocks evening sun which I kind of like because of how brutal that sun can be.

Most everything seemed to do well last year except for the things that were closest to to the tree and they weren't hurt due to light as much as I think due to water and nutrients the tree was taking.
John
2nd year gardner

Flatlander_MB

dtlove129 wrote:I hope so Marlin. My wife is tired of me spending money on it. I made those cuke trellesses that you can see in a previous post, put in drip irrigation, and have bought fertilizers and seeds and oh I bought a little greenhouse for my first year of starting seeds indoors. So it has been an expensive gardening season, but I told her that 75% of those costs are to save money later and will be reusable.
:lol: Think I'll have to try this line on my wife, too. Sometimes she gives me skeptical looks when I talk about my newest gardening acquisition. After I finish building my last trellis (hopefully tonight), I'll have to snap a couple pics to share here.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”