mattie g
Green Thumb

Onion Set Growth Stages

This is my first time trying to grow onions and shallots, and I'm curious about how they grow from sets. Do they:

1) Put out shoots and the bulb just continues getting bigger?

or

2) The bulb/set shrivels as the shoots grow, then the bulb re-forms and grows later on in the process?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

mattie g
Green Thumb

Thanks, jal. I had a feeling you'd be the one to answer! :lol:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

TZ never got back that day with a picture:

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203184&sid=2e9a367339de0b2bc4b023ada6c4381b]Shallots from May, 2011[/url]

I will try to get a picture of them in the garden but it won't be today or tomorrow. It is raining and I'm a fair-weather gardener :wink: .

Shallots are the very first thing planted out in my garden. You won't see very much difference between them from onion sets until -- you realize that they are multiplying below the soil surface. By the way, they are very tasty to eat green but, I think, shallots are really too valuable to do that with them. One really should wait until they are mature as bulbs :) .

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Shallot culture: Plant the large bulbs in the fall, they come up in the spring and the one bulb sends up several shoots, each of which makes a new bulb. So, plant one, get 4 or 5 back. Eat the smaller ones and save the large ones for planting in the fall.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/shallots.jpg[/img]

Shallots growing. You can see that each bulb has sent up several shoots so you get a lot of greenery. Each of those shoots will produce a bulb.

The little ones in the foreground are onions from seed.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”