Markolal

Pumpkins and roses

Has anyone tried planting a pumpkin or two in their rose beds? I have limited space in my raised vegetable beds and the roses are in the ground right next to the beds. Can you see any downside to the roses or pumpkins?

soil
Greener Thumb

plant away!

applestar
Mod

As interesting as that sounds, first of all, I think pumpkins will try to climb up the rose bushes instead of meeky crawling along the ground. You will need to strictly monitor the vines and keep them away. Pumpkin vines climbing the roses will most certainly bring them down, and you will have "Pumpkins that ate the rose garden" scenario.

Also, both pumpkins and roses are prone to fungal diseases and the lush/dense canopy of pumpkin leaves in restricted space will inhibit air movement and create a humid environment for powdery mildew infeststion that the roses will inherit and they will also become more susceptible to black spot.

Roses by themselves could be sprayed with stronger stuff, but you would not want to spray the pumpkins with the more toxic sprays if they are for eating.

I would consider putting up a STURDY trellis/fence for the pumpkins to climb on. By supporting the fruits with slings, etc. and occasionally helping out by tying up the vines, they can be grown on a vertical surface.

soil
Greener Thumb

how close are said roses to each other?

mscratch

probably not a good idea as when the pumpkins vine out you will have to step all over them to get to your roses to tend them and a small bed is not going to contain the pumpkin vines... they like to crawl everywhere the same as watermelon and sweet potato vines.

Markolal

A couple of pics of the pumpkin I've got going in the rosebed. Hopefully I can keep it on the ground and off the rosses.

https://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii503/markolal1/UpperSanGabrielValley-20120519-00200.jpg
https://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii503/markolal1/Pumpkininroses.jpg

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”