Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

SVB's attacking cucumber plants?

I did my regular morning garden patrol before work today and noticed 3 folded cucumber leaves. On closer inspection I noticed poop on the leaves below. I told myself ".....and now it starts".

I opened the 3 folded leaves and noticed 3 greenish/white larvae of some kind about a half inch in length, and about 1/4 inch wide. They were eating the leaves and some of the baby cucumbers.

Is this the dreaded SVB, or just some other pest that will be somewhat easier to control?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If the larvae were eating the leaves, not SVB which burrow in to the stem and eat it from the inside.

These will be easier to manage because out in the open and less protected, but still not good guys.

applestar
Mod

SVB'S looks like giant segmented maggots/grubs and lives inside the hollow stems of squash plants. Cucumbers usually don't get them and what you found are some ther caterpillars. So nice of them to make such distinctive nests to make them easy to find. :twisted:

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Most likely not SVB's? Well thank God for that. 8)

Found new caterpillars in my watermelon plants as well. These have different colors than the ones that were in my cuc leaves, but both act the same way (wrapping leaves around them with some sort of webbing).

The ones in the watermelon plants are almost a neon green color with 2 white stripes on their backs going along side their entire bodies and are about 2/3 of an inch long. Any idea what these caterpillars are?

btw all this happened within the last 24 hours.

Update: Now I have pickleworms! :evil:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”