xoxo

Too many seeds to one hill

We do a garden every year, and with butter beans, we plant about 2-3 seeds per hill.

My aunt and cousin wanted a few rows in our field, so we let them use 4 rows. They planted 2 rows of butter beans, and I'm not sure who did the planting, but in one single hill, I counted 21 sprouts!! Not all are quite so many, but all are probably 6+.

Well, they're aware of the large number in each hill, but they don't seem to care, and it's their rows, so it's them. But I'm wondering, what will happen to them? Will they get too crowded and die? Just not make? Or some die and some live? :?:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My guess: Some will probably get shaded/crowded out and die, but too many of them will live and they will all be stunted and not produce as well.

mscratch

sadly, this is a waste and if they do not care how they plant their rows then who is going to weed them? Personally, if this was my land I would thin them regardless.

applestar
Mod

When you say they don't seem to care, have you already talked about it with them or is it that they don't seem to be doing anything about it?

Is it an indication that they don't know what they are doing and could benefit from some guidance?

I would probably give them growing tips but not do the actual work for them.... (Resist and look away) :wink:

...well on second thought -- if their rows produce weak and stunted butter beans, those might attract pests and diseases that could negatively impact the rest of your fields. So you may need to give them more than a friendly tip but a lecture or two....

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”