FaTRippz

Ants on my Sunflowers??

Why are ants just hanging out on my sunflower. theyre are not really moving much it looks like just loitering. Theyre not doing any damage I just want to know why they are here.
[img]https://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg166/rob-dog420/sunny.png[/img]

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Same happens with my peppers. In the past the ants were actually farming aphids. I took care of the problem with organic soap spray. This year I see the ants again on my peppers near the blossoms, but no aphids....yet.

applestar
Mod

When I see ants on my sunflowers, it's usually an indication that there are some kind of sucking insect somewhere. Usually, I find lace bugs or treehoppers. They are very clever at hiding under the leaves.

If there are lace bugs, eventually, you'll start to see white spots on the upper side of the leaf above where they are underneath. Tree hoppers can nibble the main leaf vein until it is severed and the sunflower leaf hangs, bent at that spot.

I hand pick the tree hoppers and soapy water spray the lace bugs until the sunflowers get too tall for me to reach the pests. By that time, they seem to be able to sustain the damage without being seriously affected.

FaTRippz

that makes sense about the bugs, I ve only seen two aphids this year but I see the same thing with the roses at my work alot of aphids and a lot of ants. huh

Duets

I have the same.....ants on only 1 yellow flower of zucchini & none on the rest of them? Just a few, so far no leave damage observed, watching & waiting here.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”