SPierce
Greener Thumb

I'm actually sort of hesitant to do sets again, as I've had bad experiences with them the last years- I.e. they didn't bulb or anything, despite being left in the ground for 5 months or so :x I did put some onion seed in one of my garden boxes, and I can see the tops start to pop up out of the dirt, so maybe I'll have a bit of a chance this year! We'll see.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Onions are unique in that they require the right length of day to bulb. There are long day, short day, and neutral types. If you planted the wrong type, they would not bulb. Any of them would make nice green onions.

I would think that you would want long day onions there. Also they need to be planted very early, late March or early April. They need to get in some good growing time before the days are of the right length for them to bulb.

No more than a few sets cost, it would be worth the experiment. Maybe next year?

SPierce
Greener Thumb

That's very true, on all counts. If all else fails, I'll get some green onions ;D A lot of the seeds in the box out back have sprouted, and their green tops are popping up quite a bit. Once I get settled into a place of my own with a regular garden of my own, perhaps I'll be a bit more planned out

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”