Brant

Yellow Squash

Ok, so my squash (I think it is the crookneck variety) was going crazy when suddenly it started producing small, squishy fruit that are somewhat hollow on the inside even though the seeds are far from mature. Some of them even started rotting on the end and turning brown.

I have two possibilities
1) I heard that a lack of decent fertilization can cause this?
2) Maybe it's related to the heat? (it started when the temps started going over 100 for a few days)

It's really annoying to see all those wonderful little squash grow then pick them only to find out they are useless. Any ideas?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't think the heat would do that; I think if the heat/ dryness were bothering it, it would more likely wilt the plant than the fruit.

Yes, the female flower comes with a little embryo squash behind it. If the flower is not fertilized with pollen from a male flower, the embryo squash will still grow for a little while and then shrivel up and drop off. So check to see if you have male flowers and bees for pollination. If male flowers but no bees, you can hand pollinate them.

Another possibility is blossom end rot.

"A common problem with summer squash is the rotting of the blossom end of the fruit, called blossom-end rot. The main symptom is a dark-colored dry rot of the blossom end of the fruit. Blossom-end rot is caused by a lack of calcium in the developing fruit. It may be an indication that calcium is lacking in the soil or that the plant does not have the ability to take up adequate amounts of calcium from the soil [due to various kinds of stress]. The following measures will help prevent blossom-end rot:

Test the soil and apply the recommended amount of lime before planting.
Mulch with 2 to 3 inches of materials such as grass clippings, pine straw and leaves. Mulching prevents rapid soil drying and allows roots to take up available calcium efficiently.

Do not overfertilize plants with nitrogen or potash. Excessive amounts of these nutrients depress the uptake of calcium.

Water plants during extended dry periods.

Add organic matter to the soil. This will help "loosen" clay soils and will improve the waterholding capacity of sandy soils. In either soil, organic matter will increase plant uptake of water and calcium.

Grow squash in raised beds to improve drainage. "
https://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/vegetables/crops/hgic1321.html

Uneven watering (lots of rain then dry) is one of the stresses that leads to blossom end rot; the mulching helps prevent that.

This article:

https://www.weekendgardener.net/vegetable-gardening-tips/squash-blossom-rot-080908.htm

has a picture of a zucchini with blossom end rot and some suggestions, including that it helps to remove the flower, once the fruit has set.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

It is probably the heat. Summer squash don't set well or do well in that kind of heat. When it is that hot you could try to rig up some shade for the plants to keep them cooler in the afternoon especially. I have sometimes used stakes and cloth or row covers clothes pined to them on the south side of the plants.

Brant

Thanks guys. It does look kind of like "end blossom rot" except that they still grow pretty big (like to 6 or 8 inches usually). I am going to get some shade cloth and see if that helps.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”