Lintu

My lettuce seedling blew off at the base???

I went out to check on my plants this morning and one of my lettuce seedlings was gone. I thought someone had walked by and stolen it until I found the leaves separated from the root right at the base. What causes this??? Not enough support from the soil?

mscratch

possibly a cutworm at work

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yup, most likely cutworms. Type cutworm into the Search the Forum Keyword box and find lots of info here about how to deal with them.

Lintu

mscratch wrote:possibly a cutworm at work
They're in an elevated raised bed about 4 feet off the ground -- not sure whether that limits cutworms or not. I am very much a beginner.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>raised bed

cutworms are not "worms" as we think of "earthworms" - they are actually caterpillars - larval stage of a moth - so they moths may well have laid their eggs in the raised bed . . .

here's one blurb:
https://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/m1225.html

Lintu

Dillbert wrote:>>raised bed

cutworms are not "worms" as we think of "earthworms" - they are actually caterpillars - larval stage of a moth - so they moths may well have laid their eggs in the raised bed . . .

here's one blurb:
https://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/m1225.html
I see -- thank you for that information. I've put cardboard collars around the base of my lettuce to see if that helps prevent further damage.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I had sparrows just clean me out this year I forgot to screen them off and the sparrows were standing there waiting for them to grow!!!! I hate those birds!

FaTRippz

I had earwigs eating all my spinach and lettuce. they love luttce and seedlings of any kind. Maybe earwigs are the suspect, just my two cents.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I doubt it. Earwigs tend to eat plants from the top down like this:

[img]https://donigreenberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/earwig-damage.jpg[/img]

not to cut them off at the base.

Lintu

Thankfully it was only the one plant, and I can't find evidence of cutworms (looked for holes and all that). I hope that if it WAS a cutworm, that the cardboard collars take care of that!

Lintu

I did just find a bug on the underside of a leaf, though :( Trying to figure out what it is by looking at pictures on the internet. Gah!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”