sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

when can I plant onion seedlings in the ground?

they're still teeny tiny as I fried them putting them in my greenhouse and lost a lot of them. :( they're about the width of a toothpick still. it is going to frost this weekend. does it matter with onions? I honestly can't remember. Do I need them to get thicker first before I put them in the ground? Again I can't remember!

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I'm pretty sure onions are best planted in the ground direct- and yes they can take a frost! I tried to start mine inside but they all died, so I just dropped some seed out in a garden box and away they've gone! I'm not sure if yours will manage if they're used to indoor temps, though, and haven't been hardened off? Sure someone else will come in with advice

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

they've been in the greenhouse in the day and night so they're used to the cold temps at night

I'll transplant them then. I thought I had remembered reading something last year on here about not transplanting them until they were a certain size, but I don't remember what size it was. and what happens if they aren't big enough.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”