Rogue11

Harvesting unfertilized Zucchini

This year I have planted several kinds of zucchini and the first plants (black beauty) is full of growing flowers. Unfortunately most of them are female. The first male flowers are just starting to show but it will probably still be more than a week before they will be ready to open. By then I will have had at least a dozen or so little zuccs that won't get fertilized. In fact there are 3 that looked yesterday as so they will be opening their flowers today.
They are about the size of a finger (perfect actually for sauteeing them with just a bit of garlic) and I was wondering if there would be anything wrong with harvesting them even so they haven't been fertilized?
Thanks.

nes
Green Thumb

If they are growing they have been fertilized :).
Vanessa raising organic vegetables, livestock, wildflowers, and family in zone 5A.

Rogue11

They are not fertilized until they actually open their flowers and unless male flowers are around and open at the same time, but I am sure you know that.
However by the time they get to that stage the little plants are already a certain size (about as large and thick as a finger) After opening their flowers (with no male blossoms to fertilize them) they will start dying within a few days.

nes
Green Thumb

Maybe it's a variety difference, I wouldn't describe them as finger sized at that stage, they're quite a bit smaller. If they're as large as a finger, they should be growing. Do you have anything else they could have cross-bred with?

Otherwise, no there is no problem with picking them & eating them.
Vanessa raising organic vegetables, livestock, wildflowers, and family in zone 5A.

Rogue11

Here is a picture of one just after it opened it's flower yesterday morning.
That's about average size what I have seen on that plant and the plants from the same kind (Black Beauty). I have another variety called Elite that I planted a couple weeks later so I can't compare yet if those Black Beauty are just especially big. [img]https://www.gundam-wing-fanfiction.net/plants/IMG00138-20120425-1023.jpg[/img]

mscratch

harvest them and enjoy as more will be coming on for ya!~ I have a liitle 8 ball zuke the size of a quarter I am trying to let grow but i may just snap it off and eat it yet!

nes
Green Thumb

Those look to me like they've been fertilized and are growing, they don't need to be open for long if you're got effective pollinators.

It doesn't really matter anyway, that's a good size to eat them :) nice and tender!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”