Marshacclark
Newly Registered

What is this new mystery plant

Can any one help? I have something growing in the middle of my squash that has large 8 lobed leaves. It is dark green and thick green stalk. It has started to put off a little something that looks layered like a archichoke. They are everywhere in my garden now. They are not squash and they are not cukes, at least not typical. I am planting where someone else planted heirloom plants last year. It looks sort of like a large okra, but okra has 5 lobes on each leaf. This has 8 lobes and is about 10 inches wide. Can anyone help?

lorax
Greener Thumb

Mallow?

Marshacclark
Newly Registered

I don't think so. I am beginning to think it is an okra. Most okra only have 5 lobes on each leaf, but I still think I am getting close. I can not figure out how to add a picture. If I could, you might recognize it. thanks for your suggestion.

Marshacclark
Newly Registered

finanally learned to add photo link. [img]https://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t499/marshaclark/1334966367.jpg[/img]

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

castor bean?

lorax
Greener Thumb

Castor bean or a close relative. A photo really is worth 1000 words....

Marshacclark
Newly Registered

Thanks....I looked up Castor bean and the leaves look exactly the same. However, they are not coming up like a tree...they have soft stems just like a squash plant.
Well, castor bean is close enough for me. Looks dangerous. I think I will just destroy them.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Looks like a squash plant.

Do a Google Image search for castor bean. You will see the leaves of the bean are much more deeply cleft.

Hmmmm, though I believe squash only has 5 lobes on the leaves. Might be a castor bean.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Jal, I just went across the street to look at the candlebeans (our local name for castor) on the empty lot across from me, and that's exactly them.

Nothing like having a weed to compare with!

Marshacclark
Newly Registered

Thanks to everyone for your help. Mystery solved!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”