clutchrider

Lettuce/Onion Fell Over

I have a Jiffy 72 pod starter tray that I have been keeping inside in indirect sun and everything sprouted nicely. Lettuce and Onion have reached about 2-3" in height with the lettuce showing two small leafs on the top.

I set the tray outside for a day and brought it in at night but noticed the pods were pretty dry by the end of the day and the plants had fell over. They looked slightly yellow on some leafs so I took them in and watered them. This morning they appear greener but have not raised up.

Question is, should I be concerned or let them run their course and perk up? I was hoping to plant them in the ground this week (today or tomorrow) I'm just not sure anymore. I keep reading about this Damping fungus thing and I don't want to exaggerate or get fearful of whats happening because all the other plants are sprouting nicely and still firm.

Ideas?

applestar
Mod

I'm afraid setting the tray outside "for a day" would have been too long. they are very sensitive to the constant air movements that they are not accustomed to and of course direct sun.

But I'm especially concerned that you say the lettuce seedlings are 2-3" in height with two little leaves on top. It sounds very much like they are way too spindly. I would want lettuce seedlings to have their seed leaves at about 1/2"... 1" at the most.

Now, you really should be able to sow lettuce directly outside in the garden or larger containers where they are to grow. Onion seedlings honesty should have been started much much earlier, but you could try sowing them outside.

If you have enough seeds, try both -- start some more backup seeds inside as well as sow some outside. Lettuce transplants can sometimes be planted in favorable locations even after it gets hot. Growing onions from seeds is a learning experience for most of us. Outside seedbed will need to be kept moist and may need watering twice a day or at leat one deep watering each day until they sprout.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would leave them indoors where they have been and see if they perk up.
If they do, harden them off slowly, and hour at first outdoors, then increase the time over a week. Outdoors is a tough world for plants started indoors.

Lettuce and onions both do well planted as seed outdoors where they will grow.

The only advantage in starting onions is that you can get larger bulbs if you plant small plants, about the size of a matchstick, instead of seed. Assuming you planted both on the same day. Many nurseries sell onion plants that were started outdoors in Southern latitudes and shipped North.

No advantage at all on the lettuce. Plant it where it will grow.

Both of these plants are cold hardy. They can survive a mild frost.

clutchrider

Thanks for the replies! I planted Oak Leaf outside last year with no maintenance (other than watering) and it shot up quick. I may watch these indoors and plant onions and lettuce outdoors as well just in case. May be tonights project after work :-) gotta finish the irrigation as well.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”