funingarden

Suggestions for Growing Spinach?

I just planted spinach seeds two days ago. this is the first time I am trying to grow spinach any suggestions on growing spinach for a first timer with it?

LLandry11

Well, I planted my first garden last year, so I am by no means an expert.
However, spinach and lettuce were pretty easy. Really didn't have to do much at all, except eat it! Just keep picking/eating the outer leaves and you'll have spinach for weeks! Enjoy!

funingarden

ok thank you

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

funingarden wrote:I just planted spinach seeds two days ago. this is the first time I am trying to grow spinach any suggestions on growing spinach for a first timer with it?
Not sure how warm your summers get in PA but spinach and lettuces really don't care much for heat and will go so seed (bolt) quickly when the conditions are right.

I live in the deep south and my lettuce has been in the ground for several weeks now and I'm harvesting many leaves for salads and I have so much, I'm giving some away. However, it is getting into the mid 80's almost daily now and that won't last much longer.

You obviously like spinach so you may want to try some Swiss Chard as a substitute if the spinach fails. It is more tolerant of heat and grows leaves much larger than the standard spinach plant. I use it as a spinach substitute for things like lasagna, in salads and smothered down with a little onion and garlic.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with the swiss chard suggestion; it's my favorite thing to grow! Use it anywhere you would use spinach, raw or cooked. It just grows and grows all season, while the spinach tends to bolt and go to seed as soon as it gets really warm.

But in the meantime, once hot weather comes, your spinach will last longer with some shade.

funingarden

thanks everyone, I'm actually trying to grow this for my brother so we will see how things go although more suggestion and all will be helpful

klevelyn
Cool Member

Spinach is great. I grow it in the spring and winter. It seem to last better and I get more pickings in the winter. It over winters in my hoop house and in the early spring I get 5 pickings before it goes to seed.

Trim the outer leaves and leave 3 to 4 leaves in the center. It will just keep growing until the weather turns hot.

funingarden

I just looked at my spinach plants a few minutes ago and I have one plant popping up. I'm excited to see how it does for me.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

You could try to shade the area (if it isnt already) that will help on the hotter days. I tried to grow spinach in the fall... mine was an epic fail for some reason. Keep it cool and it should be happy! When its ready to harvest you can snip of individual leaves as needed and not disturb the plant and it will keep producing until its finally done.

Rogue11

I tried growing spinach and lettuce last winter for the first time and it was quite easy.
The last lettuce head started bolting about a week ago. We left one growing just to watch the process. But the spinach is still doing fine. Maybe because we only had a few really warn days so far. I harvested some last night for dinner.

I like the suggestion of Swiss Chard. I think I will try that once the spinach is gone for the season.

funingarden

as of today I have 6 spinach plants growing. I think I will try the swiss chard this summer I cant wait to see how things go

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”