btrowe1
Senior Member
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:57 pm
Location: South Glens Falls Ny,Zone 4B

Amazing what a little real rain can do..

Haven"t had much rain here since planting a few things a few weeks ago.
Last night a few heavy storms came through and its amazing how things perk right up after getting some real water.
Onions popped right through the soil and I can now see the the little tops and the brussels look much better too.

amazing..

Duets
Full Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:43 pm
Location: West ~ zone 11

I know just what you mean, we also got some good rain, & it never rains here, (desert NV). Things look so much better after a good soaking rain.

User avatar
klevelyn
Cool Member
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:23 am
Location: Utah, USA

I think this last storm started on the west coast and ended on the east coast. My peas and onions are coming up finally after 3 weeks. The sun shine really helps too.
Eat healthy from your backyard garden

User avatar
TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 9:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Amazing what a little real rain can do..

btrowe1 wrote:Last night a few heavy storms came through and its amazing how things perk right up after getting some real water.
No kidding! It rained right after I tilled, and I just haven't had any time to go in and kill the weedlings that came up. Now I have 4000 sf of grown weeds to hoe down :(.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

User avatar
SPierce
Greener Thumb
Posts: 732
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Amazing what a little real rain can do..

btrowe1 wrote:Haven"t had much rain here since planting a few things a few weeks ago.
Last night a few heavy storms came through and its amazing how things perk right up after getting some real water.
Onions popped right through the soil and I can now see the the little tops and the brussels look much better too.

amazing..
I'll +a million this! The first onions are starting to come through, the brussels sprouts shot up and are growing quick, even the plants that i've got hardened off and sitting on the front porch and looking happy, growing like crazy, and generally doing well!

Lintu
Full Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:43 pm
Location: SW CT

My potatoes and beans finally sprouted today after the soaking rain yesterday. I was actually worried that they were going to be completely overwatered or that the slight chill would inhibit them.

User avatar
applestar
Mod
Posts: 27900
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:21 pm
Location: Zone 6, NJ (3/M)4/E ~ 10/M

It's true. We also had a 24 hour rain that has really deep soaked everything that needed it and the entire garden looks fresh and everybody looks as if they jumped in size.

...and another benefit: I had to MAKE myself come inside after gleefully pulling weeds and seedling weed trees and shrubs that come out like a charm out of the wet ground for hours and hours. :lol:

User avatar
gixxerific
Super Green Thumb
Posts: 5889
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:42 pm
Location: Wentzville, MO (Just West oF St. Louis) Zone 5B

applestar wrote:It's true. We also had a 24 hour rain that has really deep soaked everything that needed it and the entire garden looks fresh and everybody looks as if they jumped in size.

...and another benefit: I had to MAKE myself come inside after gleefully pulling weeds and seedling weed trees and shrubs that come out like a charm out of the wet ground for hours and hours. :lol:
Aggreed a good rain there is nothing like.

Apple could you gleefuly come and pull weeds at my house. Those pesky ones around the carrots and lettuce etc that are so hard to mulch.

Thanks :wink:

User avatar
SPierce
Greener Thumb
Posts: 732
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Massachusetts

applestar wrote:
...and another benefit: I had to MAKE myself come inside after gleefully pulling weeds and seedling weed trees and shrubs that come out like a charm out of the wet ground for hours and hours. :lol:
Hehehe! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of the weeds coming out of the ground easier than normal and spending about an hour, or more, attacking one of the flower beds to clear out part of it!

User avatar
soil
Greener Thumb
Posts: 1855
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:40 am
Location: N. California

Apple could you gleefuly come and pull weeds at my house. Those pesky ones around the carrots and lettuce etc that are so hard to mulch.
your supposed to mulch before putting down carrot and lettuce seed.
For all things come from earth, and all things end by becoming earth.

User avatar
TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 9:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Amazing what a little real rain can do..

TheWaterbug wrote:Now I have 4000 sf of grown weeds to hoe down :(.
This looks like a beautiful cover crop. Too bad it's just weeds:
[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3552590/LottaWeeds.jpg[/img]

I hoed out about 1/4 of it in 45 minutes this morning, but it's going to rain tomorrow, and I'm worried it will regrow faster than I can hoe it!
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

User avatar
TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 9:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Well, I got about half of that hoed out on Tuesday and Wednesday morning, but Wed night we got about 1/2" of rain, so it's all muddy right now, and I don't really feel like getting out there in the mud.

It's stopped raining, and it's supposed to warm up, so I fully expect an explosion of growth before I can get out there with the hoe again.

Maybe I should step up my efforts to [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=240561#240561]buy my own rototiller[/url].
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:39 pm
Location: Ohio

We have not had much rain either and we just got one of those perfect slow light soaker rains and my broccoli just about jumped out of the ground it has doubled in size and I have 1/4 inch heads starting. It went from this.
[img]https://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/Johnfor3/garden2012.jpg[/img]
To this in just over a week
[img]https://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/Johnfor3/smallbox2010.jpg[/img]

btrowe1
Senior Member
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:57 pm
Location: South Glens Falls Ny,Zone 4B

pictures speak a thousand words..

mhannum
Cool Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:43 pm
Location: Maryland, US

It does make a huge difference.

Here in Maryland, some of the local pine trees were starting to turn yellow from the drought - thankfully, we've had some rain in the past week or so, and things are looking better out there.

User avatar
TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 9:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Amazing what a little real rain can do..

TheWaterbug wrote:
TheWaterbug wrote:Now I have 4000 sf of grown weeds to hoe down :(.
This looks like a beautiful cover crop. Too bad it's just weeds:
[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3552590/LottaWeeds.jpg[/img]

I hoed out about 1/4 of it in 45 minutes this morning, but it's going to rain tomorrow, and I'm worried it will regrow faster than I can hoe it!
3 hours and a handful of blisters later, it's mostly gone:
[img]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3552590/NoMoreWeeds_w.jpg[/img]

You can't really tell from the photos, but the tomatoes on the lower left have perked up, so the rain was good.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”