altar133
Newly Registered

Okra not doing well

I planted some okra about 3 weeks ago and when it sprouted, it was doing very well and was healthy but lately its been laying on its side and shriveled up. I've been growing it in bio-degradible trays. What's the matter?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My experience with those "biodegradable" Things is that they lose moisture too fast. The plants wilt for want of water. I don't know if this is the case or not. It can easily happen.

May I suggest: 9 oz Dixie cups. Punch a hole in the bottom and fill with potting soil. If you still have some plants hanging on, transplant them into these cups. You can plant a seed in them if you need to start over.

I have had excellent results growing starts in these cups.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I find okra does best if direct sown into the garden. I've had them come up kind of thick and transplanted them and they don't like to be moved much. The ones I transplanted were a good 3 weeks behind those that were just left to grow without moving them.

Okra, once established and growing well is very drought tolerant, but the seedlings don't have that capacity.

rkunsaw

I agree with Gumbo. I always sow okra directly into the garden. Okra likes hot weather. I don't usually plant mine until the middle of may but may plant a bit earlier this year.
Larry

altar133
Newly Registered

Ok thanks I have transplanted it into a bigger pot. Hopefully that will help it hold its moisture in.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”