RogueRose
Green Thumb

Lettuce All Summer?

So I'm wondering if there's any way to have lettuce all year round. I remember last year loving my lettuce and really nothing in the store compares. I am noticing with my lettuce now where I planted it the areas that get some shade are doing much better than the sunnier areas. I have some even SHADIER areas that I can plant if need be. I know I can plant in the spring and fall, but really would like to be completely store-free on the lettuce dept if I can.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>lettuce forever

it's a bit tricky. lettuce "responds" not only to "hrs of sun" but also "ambient temperatures"

the "sun light hrs" issue you can semi-control by planting in shady areas, etc.

the ambient heat issue - lot's harder to affect. some years it (I.e.
"shade") "works" some years "it doesn't work"

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I am gonna try it this year. I am trying a more heat tolerant variety called Deer's Tongue. Will see how it goes but I expect during summer for it to be a disaster.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

PunkRotten wrote:I am gonna try it this year. I am trying a more heat tolerant variety called Deer's Tongue. Will see how it goes but I expect during summer for it to be a disaster.
Mine just bolted here in Louisiana and it is only in the mid to upper 80's lately. It was in the ground for a while though. My several varieties of leaf lettuce are doing nicely but they are in a better area with lots of daytime shading. I don't think they will make it much longer though. Once we hit the 90's, it's pretty much over with no matter where they are planted.

Try chard, it is very heat tolerant, tastes similar to spinach and is very prolific.

soil
Greener Thumb

to lambs quarters, sweet potato, and malabar spinach for summer greens.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

gumbo2176 wrote:
PunkRotten wrote:I am gonna try it this year. I am trying a more heat tolerant variety called Deer's Tongue. Will see how it goes but I expect during summer for it to be a disaster.
Mine just bolted here in Louisiana and it is only in the mid to upper 80's lately. It was in the ground for a while though. My several varieties of leaf lettuce are doing nicely but they are in a better area with lots of daytime shading. I don't think they will make it much longer though. Once we hit the 90's, it's pretty much over with no matter where they are planted.

Try chard, it is very heat tolerant, tastes similar to spinach and is very prolific.

Yeah I had some chard last year. It did fine but I had to keep it watered during the summer cause it would wilt in the heat. But once you watered it perked right back up. I got some Kale still growing not sure what I am gonna do next with it.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

PunkRotten wrote:
gumbo2176 wrote:

Yeah I had some chard last year. It did fine but I had to keep it watered during the summer cause it would wilt in the heat. But once you watered it perked right back up. I got some Kale still growing not sure what I am gonna do next with it.
I have some deer tongue right now growing. I mostly like the leaf lettuces. I have a mix, deer tongue, arugula (which I know doesn't like any heat), boston/bibbs. I am not a fan of romaine or any of those. Could I get away with doing a large planter that I can move around maybe?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I don't know I don't have any experience with that. You should try it though might work out. I really don't know how the Deer's Tongue lettuce will work out but will find out.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Not sure what lettuce I have growing, but they haven't bolted yet and are producing nicely. And it's hot as anything down here.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Lettuce is generally thought to be a cool weather plant. It gets planted early because of this, then after a while, bolts as it gets warmer.

Consider this: It is the nature of all plants to make seed. That is how the species can survive. Now some plants take years to grow to a size where they bloom and reproduce, others get to that stage in a couple of months. Lettuce is ready for harvest in 60 - 70 days. You can expect it to bolt after that much time. It is time to make seed. If you want an extended harvest, plant some seed every two weeks. If you can get it to germinate, you can most likely have lettuce. Do not expect the early planting to make greens all summer.

There are many types and varieties of lettuce. Some are known to be heat resistant or slow to bolt. Take a look at [url=https://parkseed.com/Category.aspx?c=GE_1001_188&gclid=CJjl9s-LuK8CFYkbQgodSSsRhQ]This Page[/url].

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Thanks jal-ut. That was what I was thinking of doing - planting some at different times throughout the summer. I don't expect to have the ones that I have growing now to last me throughout the summer. I have family in South Africa and they have thier lettuce throughout the summer and it does get hot there. Plus its desert conditions with not much rain. I imagine if they can get it to last there, I can get it here in Jersey!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hey, take a look at my avatar. That is a head of Black Seeded Simpson lettuce. I thin it out so it has a chance to grow a large roseate. Then I harvest the whole plant instead of clipping leaves. This is my favorite variety of lettuce. I also plant Romaine and Red Sails. I have planted others over the years, but keep coming back to these.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”