jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful Spring Weather

Yesterday it was forecast that we would have a storm coming in. I got out and planted some more veggies: kohlrabi, peas, beets, kale and radishes. I figured that if we got some rain it would water the seed.

This morning its 37 degrees and snowing. I dumped 0.33 inch out of the rain gauge this morning that came overnight. I guess the seed got watered?

Now the forecast is for cloudy/rain and temps around 50 for the next 4 days.

Update: The things I planted on March 13 have came up and are looking good. The onion seed came up. They look so funny, as they come up bent in half.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Yesterday it was forecast that we would have a storm coming in. I got out and planted some more veggies: kohlrabi, peas, beets, kale and radishes. I figured that if we got some rain it would water the seed.

This morning its 37 degrees and snowing. I dumped 0.33 inch out of the rain gauge this morning that came overnight. I guess the seed got watered?

Update: The things I planted on March 13 have came up and are looking good. The onion seed came up. They look so funny, as they come up bent in half.
Wait, correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't the title of your post "Beautiful Spring Weather"???? With 37 degree temperatures and rain, that is what we in the deep south consider a bad winter day?? :lol: :lol:

Glad to hear things are starting to break ground for you. Nothing to pick up the spirits like fresh, green growth in the garden.

nosta

gumbo2176 wrote:
jal_ut wrote:Yesterday it was forecast that we would have a storm coming in. I got out and planted some more veggies: kohlrabi, peas, beets, kale and radishes. I figured that if we got some rain it would water the seed.

Wait, correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't the title of your post "Beautiful Spring Weather"???? With 37 degree temperatures and rain, that is what we in the deep south consider a bad winter day?? :lol: :lol:
Aint that the truth. It was 65 here today and I had to put on a jacket. :D

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Same here in central South Carolina. Wife and I went to the Pee Dee Farmer's Market Spring Garden Event. Wore a jacket almost all day. Brought a few plants home. Will go to Wilson's Nursery in Rock Hill tomorrow. Have a $100 gift card Christmas present from sister in law, but we will take lots of cash as well. This is a wonderful family owned nursery. Very large with lots of different annuals and perennials.

Last night we ran the sprinklers on a few beds that have tender annuals planted. Brought all of the unplanted transplants inside. Thankfully, there was no obvious harm done to the plants in the garden. Will run the sprinklers again tonight, then should be home free with many days of mild weather, which should carry us past the frost free date.

klevelyn
Cool Member

It did rain all day here today but we sure needed it. My peas and onions are up as well. dill, kale and spinach coming through. We are going to have more rain over Friday and Sat. When the sun breaks through it is so nice and fresh. Although our nights are in the 30's our days are in the 50,60 and 70's. When our nights get to 30 degrees the day time in the 50's sure feels good.

nosta

hendi_alex wrote:Same here in central South Carolina. Wife and I went to the Pee Dee Farmer's Market Spring Garden Event. Wore a jacket almost all day. Brought a few plants home. Will go to Wilson's Nursery in Rock Hill tomorrow. Have a $100 gift card Christmas present from sister in law, but we will take lots of cash as well. This is a wonderful family owned nursery. Very large with lots of different annuals and perennials.

Last night we ran the sprinklers on a few beds that have tender annuals planted. Brought all of the unplanted transplants inside. Thankfully, there was no obvious harm done to the plants in the garden. Will run the sprinklers again tonight, then should be home free with many days of mild weather, which should carry us past the frost free date.
Wilson's is only 2 miles from my house. Seems like I am there every weekend, a nice selection of plants. Have you ever been to A. B. Poe's Farmers exchange? That is where I get all my seed and lots of other gardening supplies. It is only about a mile from Wilson's. Go up Main to Cherry road and hang a right. You'll see it on the left as soon as you turn. Neat little throw back store. I remember going there as a child with my Dad to get seed and such. Have fun in the Rock! :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Wait, correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't the title of your post "Beautiful Spring Weather"???? With 37 degree temperatures and rain, that is what we in the deep south consider a bad winter day??
You have to remember this is Northern Utah and 5000 ft. elevation. This morning at 11:00 AM the temp is 55 degrees and we have clear sunny skies. Beautiful!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:
Wait, correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't the title of your post "Beautiful Spring Weather"???? With 37 degree temperatures and rain, that is what we in the deep south consider a bad winter day??
You have to remember this is Northern Utah and 5000 ft. elevation. This morning at 11:00 AM the temp is 55 degrees and we have clear sunny skies. Beautiful!
It's now just past 1:30 in the afternoon and it is in the mid 80's here in New Orleans. I just came in from the garden pulling some things, turning more soil and putting some new things in the ground. Then I decided to edge the perimeter of the garden since my St. Augustine grass is trying to make headway into the outer rows. I broke into a pretty good sweat today doing all that.

Now, I'd take 55 all day long. And I bet the humidity is REAL low where you are.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”