RuHappy69

OK what gives? Starting from seed this year

So, I started my veggies from seed this year 1st week of Feb, under the grow lights (2-3 inches from the top of the pot, 16 hours of light per day) watered every other day. My tomatoes, Eggplants, peppers all only grew to about 1.5 to 2" even now! How is that even possible? Only 2 seeds per small pot. I did everything right yet these are still way too small. They seem stunted for the past month..

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It has to be the planting medium has no fertility. It is almost time to plant them out. They will shift gears if they get in some good soil and sunlight. If you want, you can fertilize them with some Miracle Grow now.

RuHappy69

The kind specifically for this purpose? Just frustrated...

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I had this problem last month, my pepper plants were tiny (2-3 inches in height) and I started them from seed back in February. As soon as I put them in the garden 3 weeks ago they exploded in size and actually have many blossoms on them.

I say plant them in the garden now.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, if you put them in seed starting mix, that is meant ONLY for germinating seeds. It has no nutrients in it, because the seeds provide the nutrients for the new sprouts. But by the time they have the first true leaves that is all used up and you have to fertilize. For that reason I don't use the seed starting mix. The seeds germinate just fine in regular potting soil with Miracle Gro and then they have nutrients available when they need them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”