Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Tilled my 30 by 100 garden tonight!

This is the second year I got to gaden in my nighbors garden. The guy that took care of it for 40 years died and they ask me to make the garden. Last year I used black plastic but there were still a ton of weeds. No one took care of the garden for about 3 years as far as fertilizer went. Before I tilled I spread 10-20-20 over the whole area! The soil is real black and rich looking!
+++
The problem with tilling is more weeds. I used a 16 horse power Bolins trasctor that we had for 30 years. Itran great and is very powerful with the tine about 3 feet wide! Since we have frost every other night I think I will wait for mot of the plants. I may till it a second time in two weeks!

Timlin

If you have time a retilling when you see weed seeds germinating might make the summer less weed infested (at least it will get rid of that big group). I don't envy you getting it all back in ship shape again after a few years of weeds being allowed to go to seed. :?

rootsy
Green Thumb

Use plastic again w/ drip tape beneath for watering. Between the rows incorporate a cover crop that will displace the weeds, something like hairy vetch. The vetch will provide a pretty thick cover and can be mowed if it gets too out of control. Spread the mowed vetch over the plastic to protect it from the sun or use grass clippings if you don't want to mow the vetch. This will allow multi-year use of the plastic and the vetch will continue to grow the second year as it is a winter annual. Vetch is also a legume so it will be a nitrogen fixer in the soil.

If you use fall planted annual rye as a cover and kill it it'll chemically suppress weeds for a bit (allelopathic) and it'll help to build soil structure and add green manure when turned under.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The problem with tilling is more weeds.
I don't agree. Let them germinate then till again to kill more weeds.

Weeds make weeds, not tilling.

I have never liked the idea of black plastic on the garden. The soil microorganisms need air too, and the black plastic blocks it off.
Soil is a complicated miracle. One of its requirements is air.

I prefer to get the weeds with a shallow cultivation. Hoe, hoe, hoe.
One of those wheel hoes is a great tool. I had one years ago, but it got lost somewhere along the way. I have been looking for another good one.
Many garden plants have roots close to the surface, so it is not good to till deep after the plants are growing.

I plant my large crops 32 inches apart then I can run the Troybilt Horse tiller between the rows for a shallow cultivation. Your tiller is a bit big for that.

Sounds great. You will enjoy the larger garden. Have fun. What are you going to plant?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://easydigging.com/Garden_Cultivator/wheel_hoe_push_plow.html?gclid=CKmyjtjLr68CFRGAhwod1VuppA]Check this out![/url]

This single wheel hoe with the weeding sweeps is what I want. Good tool. It has been missing from the market for a while. Good to see it return.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”