Lucius_Junius
Cool Member

Tomatoes and Brassica

My tomato seed package informs me not to plant them "near" any brassicas. As I did not know this when planting my turnip, I put them very close to where I had planned to put my tomatoes. How far away is still too near? Also, what happens if they're too near? Also, is the danger over once the turnip have been harvested? Can I plant the tomatoes where the turnips had previously been?

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I can't imagine a good reason not to plant tomato near turnip, unless your particular variety of tomato is prone to the same disease issues that turnips might have. I've never had disease issues with turnips but I have had insects eating holes in the leaves. I've never had pest issues with tomato but I have had alot of disease with them. I've never grown the two close together but I wouldn't hesitate to do it. I would just make sure the turnips are on the south side of the tomatoes to get enough sun.

You do want to avoid planting tomatoes with potatoes, peppers, and eggplant because they tend to share the same disease and pest issues.

That's what I think, anyway :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I always plant my tomatoes right behind my broccoli. Never have seen any problem from it. I plant the broccoli very early, so by the time the tomato plants are getting big enough to need the room, the broccoli is close to done and I pull it. So I'm not sure if it is because the broccoli gets pulled soon that it doesn't cause a problem or just that the tomato/ brassica concern is over-rated, but it works for me.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Tonio
Green Thumb

I've read about toms and brassica's too.

What about bush beans & toms? A few companion plant lists that bush beans are ok, but not pole beans? Due to bean strangling the toms? If that were the case bush beans should be fine??
San Diego / Z10
-------------------

Lucius_Junius
Cool Member

This is interesting. Since none of you have had any problems, I'm going to plant my tomatoes at a suitable distance that isn't impractical. Thanks again.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My tomato seed package informs me not to plant them "near" any brassicas.
Hmmmmm........ I have to ask WHY?

Someone no doubt had a reason to say this, however it would be good if they told you why. Can you write the seed company and ask why?

I have gardened a long time and have never seen any problems with tomatoes near brassicas. I know there are plenty of bugs that like brassicas, but it doesn't seem like they go after the tomatoes.

???
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

OK, a little research came up with this: [url=https://www.oisat.org/pests/diseases/fungal/alternaria_blight.html]Click Here[/url]
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”