Decado
Green Thumb

Onion Sets Looking Sickly After Planting

I just planted about 180 Walla Walla onion sets over the past 2 weeks and since I've planted them they've been getting sickly looking. When I got them they were decently sized and plenty green but now they're getting yellow, falling over and shriveling up even though I've been giving them enough water. Is this normal for them to look sickly for a while after planting or is there something wrong? If there is something wrong what can I do?

applestar
Mod

From your description, I expect they are plants and not sets? Just hoping to clarify the situation. I hope you get your answer. I have a different problem with my onions (4 more sets lying on the ground this morning....:roll:)

Decado
Green Thumb

Well they're the green plants with the bulb attached. At the store they were called sets and I've heard others calling the same thing sets.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I have to agree with Marlingardener. Onions don't have deep roots, so they need regular water, but they don't use much. Too much water will probably start root-rot. I've never planted sets that had long greens leaves, but I would imagine they would be stressed when transplanted. The "sets" that I've always been accustomed to are just bulbs (with no leaves yet).

Applestar - I can't believe your trouble with the black birds (shaking my head). I'd be tempted to sit and wait to shoot them but I don't think they taste very good. I have a personal rule to never kill an animal that I'm not going to eat.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”