SLC

How close can you plant other vegetables to celery?

The seed packet for celery says to plant them 8 inches apart in rows 3 feet apart, BUT, I am only planting about 4-5 celery pants. It was only supposed to be two plants, but it looks like I must've dropped other seeds by mistake in a couple of my other starter pots, because it looks like celery just sprouted in those other pots, and I don't want to "kill" the plants so I will let them grow. Anyway, so if I try to grow about 4-5 celery plants 8 inches apart, is there any other veggie I can plant in the next row closer that 3 feet? About how far can I plant something else and what can it be? The problem is, my garden isn't that big, and I need the room. Please, can anyone help?

In other words, is there any other vegetable that can be planted in the next row that's closer than 3 feet? Like....only 1 foot away from the celery?

The other veggies/herbs I will be planting are: lettuce, corn, potatoes, onions, peas, beans, broccoli, peppers, tomatoes, cilantro and basil (possibly cucumbers - looking into that) with a marigold border....also how far away from the marigolds can I plant the celery...or any vegetable actually? Does it matter if it's a flower? Last year, I planted my veggies only about 6 inches from the flowers, and they seemed to do fine....

applestar
Mod

I'm thinking lettuce, onions, or cilantro. Lettuce will mature quickly and be gone as will cilantro. Onions don't need the extra wide space betwen rows.

You could -- and probably should -- sow peas, lettuce, onions, cilantro already. Are you planting onion sets or sowing seeds? Broccoli plants should be able to go out too, and if sowing from seed definitely already, though if you have short spring and hot summer, not sure if you have enough time....)

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>In other words, is there any other vegetable that can be planted in the next row that's closer than 3 feet? Like....only 1 foot away from the celery?

yes, anything you'd like.

one is often given to scratching one's head at some of the stuff printed on seed packets.

if you're dealing with a small / limited space, I'd recommend picking up a copy of "Square Foot Gardening" - it has a lot of tips for small scale / intensive veggie gardening.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”