Ruffsta
Green Thumb

I couldn't resist!!!!

I honestly couldn't resist.. I have a bunch of plants indoors and I just had to get something outdoors (which I just finished doing before writing this).. so I planted zucchini, summer squash and winter squash. personally I don't care if they make it or not - alot of the plants I have were considered as test plants so I see which will do better under certain conditions..

and well, I just have way too many plants and I had to get something outside.. :) I just couldn't resist...

and prior to that I started up another seed tray with mostly peppers... still looking for certain ones (please check out my wanted pepper seed list in the trading section)...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I understand and have been planting things too, though I will have to cover them tonight, since we have one last night going down close to freezing. But I also had huge plants and running out of room....

But if you have other stuff, I am not sure I would have started with the squash which to me are the last planted. Tomatoes can withstand a lot more cold than squash.

applestar
Mod

Yep! Out of all the warm weather seedlings, tomatoes are the first ones to get thrown out in the cold to sink or swim. :twisted:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Tonight will likely be our last very chilly low, with a low of 36 degrees forecast. I'll likely turn the sprinklers on about 3 a.m. and let them run until around 9 a.m. Will move all of the plants that are still in midsized pots into a heated area.

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Yep! Out of all the warm weather seedlings, tomatoes are the first ones to get thrown out in the cold to sink or swim. :twisted:
On a related note, what other warm weather crops fall into the "planting early doesn't hurt 'em" category and which into the "planting early stunts them forever and you'll regret it" category?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I plant succession plantings for most everything, so if the earliest gets stunted, the next batch is o.k. If any stunted plants don't seem to be earnig their keep, then they get jerked up and replaced with something that will earn its keep. For tomatoes, we always start an excess of plants, just in case an early planting doesn't work out.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”