stella1751
Greener Thumb

What Did You Do in Your Garden This Weekend?

A day without wind at this time of the year is rare. Saturday had gusts up to 50 MPH, so I got nothing done. However, yesterday was quite productive! One of the tomato beds is prepped. By the time they are ready to go outside, roughly six weeks from now, all that compost and bone meal will be just right!

I also planted three more rows of radishes. This year, in this particular bed, I am following Hendi-Alex's 2011 succession gardening advice, a thread I followed religiously. So far, in that bed, I have four rows of peas (not yet up), three rows of radishes (only now coming up), and three freshly planted rows of radishes. If all goes as planned, as each planting is harvested, I will plant either beans or corn or both in the newly opened sections. I feel like I have a kitchen garden. Never before have I planted a little of this and a little of that in the same bed, well, not deliberately :lol:

I am sore. After six months spent sitting on my duff, the six hours put in yesterday really took their toll on this old woman!

SPierce
Greener Thumb

You lucky woman! Right now, unfortunately, I can't do much of anything. I've got my brussel sprouts outside in the ground, and my squashes ready to GO outside, but it's too cold and windy out there to even think about starting to harden them off. I've got strawberries and sprouting potatoes that I can plant, but until my roommates lawn guy comes through and cleans everything up, I can't put anything into the side beds, either. ugh!

I've started a bunch of tomato plants (I think I'm getting a community plot this year in addition to my garden, just waiting to hear back) and nearly all of them have come up. Woo hoo! So I've just been watching them joyfully grow taller and taller.

clutchrider

Nothing. Although after 3 weeks of the soil sitting before I plant I have not had one blade of grass return from my freshly dug up area. So I can say I did a good job at removing the top sod layer.

I did however plant a bunch of seeds in one of the 72 pod Jiffy plastic things to get things started inside while the outdoor evening temps are still frigid. 3 days in and I already have little sprouts!

But outside work did continue. I got a second mowing in on the yard, edged all my gardens and curbs, cleaned up the debris along the curb line, did a good weedwhacking, sprayed Home Defense around the house, sprayed weed killer, put down mulch, and put down Step 2 (already did Lime and Step 1 a few weeks ago). So an accomplished weekend nonetheless.

nes
Green Thumb

This weather has been so amazing, usually we'd still have snow on the ground and the soil would be frozen so I've been kicking my butt.

We moved in last year but I didn't get a chance to really garden last year because of being busy with farm stuff, so I'm trying to make up for it.

And I have more to do today.

I already have
Spinach
Arugula
Raddicchio
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Carrots (Scarlet Nantes, Nantes Touchon & Purple Haze)
Lettuce (iceberg, vulcan & a garden mix)
Beets
Radishes
And because my turkey got into them, I planted the broad beans.

In the garden, all under cover.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lets see... weeded out a bunch of flower and veggie beds, moved some plants around, mulched, planted some tomatoes (more to go yet) and marigolds to go with them, got all the containers and hanging baskets on the deck planted (dumped all the soil out of them and mixed it with fresh- about 20 containers worth), watered, especially all the stuff I planted, pruned the honeysuckle trumpet vine and the smaller lilac tree, kept on taking care of my 500 seedlings in 3" pots.

And did a bunch of spring cleaning around the house, including washing down all the woodwork in our screened porch so we can start using it.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

I didn't do anything in the garden over the weekend, but the past few weeks I have dug up the yard and made the garden bed.. today I'll probably go remove some weeds that have been growing. mostly taking of plants indoors..I don't when I should really start planting anything outside... weather is unpredictable yet - but I would love to start putting some plants outside already!

still have of the new bed to dig up - going to make it the biggest garden I've ever had.

lorax
Greener Thumb

I planted a couple of roses, three aloes, a huge Aeonium arboreum, and then I deadheaded like a mad fiend until a thunderstorm chased me in. I also trimmed my bananas, transplanted sage, lavender, rosemary, parsely, basils, and probably a couple of other herbs I'm forgetting (oh yes, marjoram and thyme!)

I also made contact with a nifty old dude who has an empty lot up the block, to see if he'll rent it to me as a tomato and banana patch (about 275 sq meters). Fingers crossed!

greenstubbs

Piled some earth on the spuds.
Worked the compost pile some.
Planted carrots, kohli's, beets, chard & spinach.
Started more kohli, rads, beet seeds.
Watered lawn, spices, crops.

Flatlander_MB

Borrowed my neighbor's tiller and got the garden tilled up & ready to go! I've also started hardening some of my starts in anticipation of getting them in the ground.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Built a really ugly fence to keep deer out.

Cleaned up a small flood in the basement (wash basin draining too slow for clothes washer).

Up-potted tomatoes and peppers (and fertilized them).

Washed out humidifier with vinegar and cleaned filter on dehumidifier.

Cleaned out one of my rain barrels.

Went for a walk and found "weeds" to photograph (possibly edible weeds).

Mowed my lawn and the next-door neighbor's lawn - repaired mower.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

nes wrote:This weather has been so amazing, usually we'd still have snow on the ground and the soil would be frozen so I've been kicking my butt.

We moved in last year but I didn't get a chance to really garden last year because of being busy with farm stuff, so I'm trying to make up for it.

And I have more to do today.

I already have
Spinach
Arugula
Raddicchio
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Carrots (Scarlet Nantes, Nantes Touchon & Purple Haze)
Lettuce (iceberg, vulcan & a garden mix)
Beets
Radishes
And because my turkey got into them, I planted the broad beans.

In the garden, all under cover.
It's been a warm spring here, too, and I've been attempting to make hay while the sun shines. Personal problems and yet another wind-free day prompted me to take a day off from work. Today, I got my watermelon bed ready. I have had it covered with black plastic for at least three weeks, and there was a gratifying amount of earthworms in the top layer of soil.

However, once I'd added in all my amendments, worked them in well, and attempted to thoroughly water it before again covering it with black plastic, I made a disconcerting discovery: The subsoil is still frozen. After about ten minutes of watering, all the water just ran off the top. Normally, this bed lets me know it's wet through-and-through by damp splotches at the bottom on the one side. This time, no damp splotches after half-an-hour's watering, just a big pool on the other side.

You can't fool Mother Nature, but she can sure fool you :shock:

btrowe1

Cleaned out some of the flower beds, mowed the lawn with the tractor, tilled the garden again, planted 380 red and white onions..

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”