GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Hello again

I don't think I've been on in at least a month! I missed it! I don't know if the other regulars do what I do in early spring a jump ship for a while to go play in the garden, but I have a hard time sitting on the computer when I could be out in the garden. :) Beans, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, garlic, cukes, gourds, peaches....everything is loving the weather, Just waiting a hair longer to start to corn, sweet potatoes, peppers and herbs, squash etc.

I may have jacked up my Yakon by putting it out too early :/ it got a little cool and the plants didn't like it. I may have to buy a few more rhizomes or plants. Not too happy about that. Especially considering what a great start they got.

Anyway I'll be peeking in at a minimum. :) glad to see everyone else's gardens are generally doing well. Stay in the sun. ;)
Jeff

USDA Zone 7a, Sunset Zone 32.

Failure is only a fact when you give up.

webmaster
Site Admin

Welcome back! :clap:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I get a little pooped out at different times during the growing season, Jeff. And, this is one of them . . .

The weather has finally warmed for more than 1 day at a time. Or, it was warm . . . but raining. Warm . . . but the wind was gusting above 30mph! Today, 66°F. Tomorrow, 70°! It will be the warmest day so far this year.

So, I'm cultivating :wink: ! Back home in the greenhouse, things are heating up! Water, transplant, adjust thermostat, open vents, turn on fans, transplant, water . . . Just trying to get something done - and, I am unaccustomed to the labor :oops: , after sitting around for months!

One more day of nice weather, then I can park my tired body back here in the south window and reclaim my couch potato lifestyle.

Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I must say, I keep working out there all year. Of course its more intensive during the summer, but I can usually even work up a sweat in the middle of winter. I only take a break for about 2 months right after theres nothing left to be harvested.

I'm telling you. Between this new doomsday preppers show, and a few things I've read lately, I'm a half step away from becoming a seed hoarder. It's a scary world out there just waiting for catastrophe. Or is paranoia, like a fear of heights, just something that grows with age? lol
Jeff

USDA Zone 7a, Sunset Zone 32.

Failure is only a fact when you give up.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

GardenRN wrote: Between this new doomsday preppers show, and a few things I've read lately, I'm a half step away from becoming a seed hoarder. It's a scary world out there just waiting for catastrophe.
Doomsday Preppers - I love that show. The people they feature take it to extremes and their reasons for doing it usually seem ridiculous. However, many of them have some valuable ideas. I want to go back and record some episodes to take notes.

I guess I was a "prepper" long before prepping was cool. It only took 3 days without electricity to get me thinking. I don't have huge food storages or anything like that but I think I can make do in most situations.

You mentioned hoarding seeds. I don't "hoard" them, but I only grow heirlooms (or at least open-pollinated) for that reason. I save them year-to-year, but I'm not sure what is best for long term storage.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”