Lucius_Junius
Cool Member

Support for bush peas?

This is yet another in a series of posts I evision making every time I plant something new. I planted bush peas. The package says add a support 1.5 meters high. The peas themselves are only supposed to grow 24 inches. Is this normal for bush peas? I was under the impression they supported themselves.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I've never supported any of the bush type beans I've grown, only pole beans.

applestar
Mod

1.5 meters? What variety of peas is it? I've grown two varieties in the past couple of years that needed 5'-6' supports: Alderman Tall Telephone Pole and Sugar Snap. But bush type peas are said to lean on eachother if you plant double or triple rows.

This year, I planted Green Arrow that needs 28" support and Sugar Anne that is supposed to be a bush type (24" I think) but I do have a 28" rabbit wire fence on one side and am planning to run a string along the path side so they won't flop into the path....

Lucius_Junius
Cool Member

Applestar, they are indeed Sugar Snap. I recently bought some fence poles for another project, so I'm going to use those and some old chicken wire I have to make supports. I think I planted the four rows close enough together to get away with running two supports down the middle if I lean the plants over as they grow. Will these naturally cling to the support, or will I have to tie them as I go?

applestar
Mod

They'll grow tendrils and hold on to skinny supports (like chicken wire) as well as to each other. :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”