orgoveg
Green Thumb

black seeded simpson lettuce

I noted that several members here like growing black seeded simpson, so I got some seeds to try. They came up right away, but they haven't grown in the last 3 weeks or so. Is this normal? They get water every day and I fertilized with fish emulsion about a week ago.

[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/abaction/100_2190001.jpg[/img]

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Can't say that I've ever had that happen before. When my leaf lettuces come up, they continue to grow and in 3 weeks time I'm looking to thin them by transplanting. They sure are tiny for being up for 3 weeks.

I can't imagine you weather being the culprit since you are in Ohio. I'm sure it's not too hot there yet because my lettuces are thriving in the warm weather of New Orleans.

I do keep them watered but don't use any fertilizer other than some compost in the row prior to putting out the seeds.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

I've got some black seeded simpson going too; 2 batches. One of my batches is doing what yours is- absolutely nothing! I started it out in my garden boxes, and they aren't growing for the life of me. I'm about to give up on them.

however, I started some inside, too, and those are doing a lot better- their leaves are about 3 inches tall right now, and I've got them in with some pepper plants, so they'll be hardened off later.

I have absolutely no idea why one batch is growing and the other isn't, they've all got plenty of light along the way

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Hmmmm... The weather could be a problem as it has been much warmer than usual. It seems like we have had enough colder days/nights to make up for it, but the heat might have stunted their growth.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I grow BSS every year. It like a coolish start but likes the warm weather to et going. If it is still a live, have patience. It may be setting out roots. It tends to grow a little, stop, grow a little, stop, explode! It's worth the wait. You will get loads of great tasting lettuce out of it. ;)

orgoveg
Green Thumb

It turns out that the seedlings in my previous photograph are not lettuce, but wild violet. Out of probably 100 seeds, only 4 germinated and it took several weeks. I'll have to clean out the violets and try again. Maybe I got bad seeds or maybe they just didn't like the way I sowed them.

[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/abaction/100_2214001.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/abaction/100_2215001.jpg[/img]

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

I tried to grow BSS as well and I am also in Ohio and mine did the same thing...I planted mine is well composted soil, placed in an area that got half sun half shade so they weren't burned up by the sun and they only grew so much and got very spindly stems and would lay over on themselves. I gave up trying to grow it, I hope you have better luck!

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

orgoveg wrote:It turns out that the seedlings in my previous photograph are not lettuce, but wild violet. Out of probably 100 seeds, only 4 germinated and it took several weeks. I'll have to clean out the violets and try again. Maybe I got bad seeds or maybe they just didn't like the way I sowed them.
I break up the dirt very well, moisten it a little, sprinkle the seeds over the surface and then kinda "scratch" the surface of the soil with a hay rake. This kinda just barely covers the seeds with soil. Water it well and then step back. Water it at least once a day unless it rains. Don't let the soil crust over or get dry until after the plants are an inch tall or so.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I really like Black-seeded Simpson. Look at my avatar. That is a head of Black-seeded Simpson. When planting, I will take a few seeds, 3-4 between my finger and thumb and just push them in the ground about 1/2 inch deep. I do this every six inches in the row. Then I step on the row to firm the soil. In the early spring, I have no water so they don't get watered, except for rain/snow.

After they come up, I thin them to one plant per spot, and as they get large enough to touch each other, I harvest every other one. I always harvest the whole plant, not pick leaves.

I have had no luck with solid head types here. Romaine does well for me.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I think my method of sowing is probably okay. I do it the way GardenRN described and then I pack the soil down with the palm of my hand. I'll have to try pressing in 1/2" as jal_ut described. I really think the seeds are bad. I sowed another 100 seeds (from the same packet) 11 days ago and only 3 of them germinated. I've grown several types of leaf lettuce before with no problems (except last year it got too hot, too early for my Tom Thumb Butterheads).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”