dollygardener
Newly Registered

Bean supports

:D I'm new to helpfulgardener.com and would love some feedback about supports for beans. I have long fence that runs the length of my yard/garden and would like to use that in my support . Also, I have alot of leftover fencing pieces that I can use. I've read so many different things about trellises, poles, etc. and I don't know which to use. Any ideas?

applestar
Mod

What kind of fence is it?

dollygardener
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:What kind of fence is it?
Its a fence with long, wooden stakes - I forget the name of it. Its about 6 ft high

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not so good, especially if it is solid fencing (no gaps between the stakes). Chain link fence would be great, but the beans need something to be able to grab hold of. You could always put trellis or poles or something in front of the solid fence for the beans to climb.

dollygardener
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:Not so good, especially if it is solid fencing (no gaps between the stakes). Chain link fence would be great, but the beans need something to be able to grab hold of. You could always put trellis or poles or something in front of the solid fence for the beans to climb.
Thats a great idea - I think I'll try building something in front of the fence. Have you done this?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”