Ruffsta
Green Thumb

moving locations..

currently I plan to put out some plants out in the garden I recently dug up that at one time used to be a farm - so there is no issues growing almost anything out here in my garden..

however... my mom is selling her home in florida and when she does (I say within 2 months), she is moving back up here to rhode island.. the intent is that my wife and I want to buy a house with her.. my question.. when we buy our house, is it possible to remove things from the current garden to the new house garden - or best leave it all or a certain few????

I did it once with an eggplant when I moved here, it did ok as it was done in 15 min.. but now we are talking about a much larger scale..

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

meh I'm not worried about realtors.. afterall.. I am buying a house - what I do with it is my business.. as far as where I am currently my landlord doesn't care what I do with the yard and they are my plants afterall.

just want to know which plants are safe to re-transplant in the same season really.. even more which ones I can take back indoors... I know I can do it with peppers.. I've done that before.

soil
Greener Thumb

are these annuals in mid growth or perennials?

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

I would say annuals... I haven't put them into the garden yet - they're still under lights.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

That's a tough call as far as the annuals go. I'm going to guess that if you do it carefully, most of them will survive but they probably won't thrive. The stress of transplanting will temporarily stop their development. At least, you should get some kind of harvest and then look forward to next year.

I would cut them out with as much soil as possible left intact. Of course, put them in a well-prepared soil and then TONS of water for the first two days.

It's alot of work and you might be better off asking the new tenant and landlord if you can continue to tend the garden to finish the season. Most folks wouldn't mind that at all.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”