Ruffsta
Green Thumb

planting outdoors

has anyone started planting? the weather here just won't cooperate and most of my plants are dying indoors and I can't get them outside yet although I do take some of them outdoors when it's warm enough but..

all I know is I'm getting upset because I can see that I'm going to have to restart more seeds and I'm worried about enough season time to grow and harvest.

I also think I need to change the potting soil I'm using because the one I use is organic and $1 at joblot, every year it has been a good soil to me, but this year they have a crappy batch. the soil clumps up hard once you add to water in a few days..

applestar
Mod

Why are they dying?

Are they all peppers and tomatoes? Do you have cool season stuff than can go out?

Also consider using low tunnel or other means to set out things that can take a little bit of cold. Try wall-o-water. I can't this year because I'm experimenting with early spring to summer succession in almost ALL my beds, and wow needs a hefty chunk of bare space, but I've used them in the past and they work.

My problem is they're outgrowing the fixed height light setup. I hate completely rearranging the lights in the growing area mid seed starting season. :roll:

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

most are peppers and tomatoes.. but I also have some:

artichokes, eggplants, squash (zucchini, summer and winter), cucumbers and pickles. I start them all indoors on a heat mat with a digital thermostat and then move them into a closet with a 4' shop light with sunshine bulbs and part of the baseboard is in the closet. I try not to water them too much.

I recently threw out a bunch of plants because they died out - so those I'll be starting.

I don't know why they are dying... lack of lighting perhaps? not trying too hard this year I guess because my mom is selling her house in florida and moving back up here and then we are going to buy a house - so when I move from this apartment and into the house I can then get more involved in lighting as I am going to a room dedicated to gardening..

I honestly think it's the potting soil that's the main cause..

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, it is getting a little frustrating. After having 85 degrees and 60+ degree nights in early Mar, we are now having more seasonally appropriate 60 degree days, but a number of nights down close to freezing. I've got a ton of giant tomato and pepper plants and other stuff, that could really use to get planted. I had to bring 4 trays back indoors last night and they will stay in now until Sat AM.... I wish we could have had this weather back in March and have the warm weather now, it all would have worked better.

Nonetheless, your plants shouldn't be dying unless something is wrong in how they are being maintained. How did they die? (In other words, what happened, what did they look like, did they get yellow or brown or pale, keel over and lie flat, shrivel up, etc).

SLC

That happened to me last year. I am in CT (close to RI!) and it was just rain, rain, rain and more rain. I started indoors as well around March 15 and there was so much standing water in the backyard, I could not plant anything out there. So everything started dying off because they were outgrowing their little starter pots. I saved them by moving them into bigger containers.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

If I may make a suggestion?

Find out the date of your last average frost at your locality. Then start peppers 8 weeks before that date, and tomatoes six weeks before that date.
Start eggplant when you start the tomatoes.

The other things you mention are best direct seeded in the garden where they will grow. (I don't have a clue about artichokes)

Squash can be planted directly in the garden a week before that date. They will actually do better doing this than starting them in pots.

Cucumbers and melons can be direct seeded on that date.

I would wait until a week after that date to put the tomatoes and peppers out.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

I have no issues starting almost anything indoors... lettuce is the most difficult for me.. but oh well lol

some had their lower leaves turn yellow, some also just fell off and then the plants would just like keel over..

I just went out and bought miracle garden soil - I'm going to try and save what I have left as well restart more seeds. I think it a lot to do with the soil I was using and the lack of nutrients this year.. I did great last year - this year is just being a pain and no weather cooperation whatsoever.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I'm not sure what zone Rhode Island falls into but it can't be too much different from mine (5a). I can direct-sow all of the plants you mentioned outdoors after the last frost date (a week or two early sometimes). The only exception is peppers, but even they can produce a little bit by the end of the season.

I'm getting better, but I'm traditionally terrible at getting healthy plants to develop indoors. Thus, I have direct-sown just about everything for years. I'm always the last one to get tomatoes that way, but at least I get them.

Some things like broccoli, spinach, and cauliflower don't have enough time in cool weather when direct-sown for me, but you didn't mention any of those.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Posted: 04 05 12 Post subject:
I have no issues starting almost anything indoors...
the weather here just won't cooperate and most of my plants are dying indoors and I can't get them outside yet
Most of your plants are dying, yet you have no issues?

Aw, come on, which is it? :roll:

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

I usually don't have issues starting anything indoors, never really did in three years..

btw, you have both of those quotes in the wrong context.. one has to do with starting things indoors - which is a response to your post about planting certain things right out in the garden.. while the other quote is entirely about soil & weather.

so no, I don't have issues other than one at hand (soil) - which I am currently in the midst of correcting and well as for the weather, it's out of my hands now isn't it?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”