GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

store bought green onions

I saved the whites/roots and planted them ones going to flower. What will it do give me more builbs or just a flower? Or seeds.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>ones going to flower.

onions have a pretty "flower" - round spiky globes - various colors.
see
https://scienceray.com/biology/botany/top-10-most-beautiful-garlic-and-onion-flowers/

which will produce seed.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I did a post about this a while back. When I have to buy green onions at the store, I'll cut off the bottom 1 1/2" of the root end, place them upright in a little water in a cup and let them make roots. This takes about 1 week or so. I'll then plant them in a planter on my back porch and they will grow new green tops to be snipped and used for cooking. This keeps me from walking downstairs into the garden when I need some onion tops.

Now that I have over 200 onions in the ground, I no longer need to buy green onions since I just snip some tops from various plants to use in the kitchen.

soil
Greener Thumb

youll get another green onion, and if you leave it go longer, it will bloom and give you seed.

you can do this with most onions and even leeks. cut, replant, let grow, harvest, repeat.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I have acouple diffrent ones in this spot. And started a crimson red bunching onion.
Last edited by GardenGnome on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

[img]https://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/ericmgilson/2012-04-05_10-41-02_81.jpg[/img]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”