KeriFord

Rainrainrain...now my potatoes are underwater. >:[

Those puddles are my potatoes. I got them cut. put them in ground. covered w/some dirt. I was waiting on them to grow a bit before covering them again. That's when the rain started.

[img]https://a.yfrog.com/img861/1200/zs6fe.jpg[/img]

Are they going to rot? Any ideas on what to do? I doubt I can even get to them without sinking to my knees in mud right now. We have more rain in the forecast for tonight, but then pretty (thank goodness) the rest of the week. Sunny and 80s to get it all dried back out.

on the upside, my corn and sunflowers seem thrilled. :)

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I seem to recall reading somewhere (possibly The Vegetable Gardener's Bible) that potatoes would do best in a bog. I interpret that to mean that they like it very wet. You might find that this is not a problem and possibly a benefit.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

That same weather system has my garden flooded as well. Over the last 2 days my 4 cu. ft. wheelbarrow almost filled up with rainwater. My once beautiful artichoke plants are beat to the ground and I've resorted to propping them up with metal stakes hoping they will recover.

KeriFord

orgoveg wrote:I seem to recall reading somewhere (possibly The Vegetable Gardener's Bible) that potatoes would do best in a bog. I interpret that to mean that they like it very wet. You might find that this is not a problem and possibly a benefit.
that would be *awesome* because I thought I saw they didn't like it super wet....but goodness knows I mix stuff up like crazy.

I'm just waiting on someone to come by and say I should stick my hand down in there where I can't see what I'm touching and pull them up and move them.

KeriFord

gumbo2176 wrote:That same weather system has my garden flooded as well. Over the last 2 days my 4 cu. ft. wheelbarrow almost filled up with rainwater. My once beautiful artichoke plants are beat to the ground and I've resorted to propping them up with metal stakes hoping they will recover.
oh no, good luck to them! luckily the only other things in mine were pepper plants. They were small and are fine. and some onions. Also seem to have weathered it fine.

patting myself on the back for going through the trouble of planting in rows or I'd really be in a hot mess.

KeriFord

Marlingardener wrote:When we planted our potatoes earlier this year, we did so wearing rubber boots and leaving footprints that filled with water. Honestly, getting into the garden when the soil is that wet is a terrible idea, but it was plant or forget about having potatoes.
I think your potatoes will recover and do fine. Try to stay out of the garden until it dries out--you won't be compacting the soil where you walk, like we did.
Our potatoes are up and flourishing--now I have to curb the urge to go diddle around in the dirt at the base of the plants to find tiny 'taters!
Good to know! thanks so much Marlin. Glad to know yours are doing well. I'll keep my fingers crossed on mine.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”