SLC

Will Coffee Grinds Hurt Any Vegetables?

My boss told me that she puts used coffee grinds in her garden, so I have been trying to research the internet and this forum, and I can't find if there are any vegetables that they will hurt? I did find that the coffee grinds can ward off slugs, which my garden has plenty of since it's like a swamp, so I would put them in for that reason alone! But before I do (well, I haven't even started my garden yet this year), I wanted to make sure it won't HURT any of my veggies? Are there any it would hurt? Or herbs or flowers? Any info is appreciated!

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Coffee grounds only slightly low ph and it takes a lot over time, so unless you plan to put copious amounts on it should hurt anything. As for slug control, most gardeners I know haven't had much luck using coffee grounds for that. The idea is that they don't like to go over rough suffaces much. Note, I have slugs that cross small jagged pea gravel on a regular basis.

rkunsaw

We always put coffee grounds in our garden. They are good for your plants.Usually the grounds go in the garden by way of the compost bin first, but we also put them directly on the garden.
Larry

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

coffee grounds and filters are great for composting...

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgVm6QqjzFI&list=UU6YgvyGnc7HBvBEVAeDnsiw&index=9&feature=plcp[/url]

SLC

Well, I guess if it won't hurt any of my veggies, I'll give it a try and see what happens. We use three K-cups a day, so if I start saving them now, I'll have quite a bit in a month or so! I'll see if it makes the plants better at all...or worse. But the slugs......or, I don't even know what these things were.....but last year, these things were gigantic and stuck all over my peppers and tomatoes leaving this slime. I should have taken a picture. Okay, well they weren't "gigantic," but they were like these big mounds like almost the size of an egg completely stuck to my plants. So, I will try anything this year!

Brant

Coffee grounds probably made up a good 35% of my compost pile last year. My garden looks better than it ever has. I am already eating tons of squash, peas, lettuce, and even a couple tomatoes! Everything looks so green! (it's usually yellow). I attribute this directly to my compost additive.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I hit starbucks just for their grounds (not a coffee addict like my wife!) and give each raised bed 2 bags worth in the spring and fall. My veggies do great! I also make sure my strawberries and blueberries get a healthy helping as well!!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Your plants might get HIGH on Caffeine. Then they will get all HYPER and go crazy and grow all over the place. :lol:

ruggr10
Green Thumb

The problem, if I don't give them their caffeine fix they just start shaking all over.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

I know I've read worms love coffee grinds and egg shells. And you want worms in your garden.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

There is no problem. I get some from starbucks as well as every morning I throw my coffe grounds with filter in the garden.

It helps wake up the worms so they are more productive. :P :P :wink:

sixshooter

Do you have to call ahead to starbucks or tim hortons when you want some grounds? Or do you just in and ask for what they have? I feel lime theyre going to look at me crazy even though I'm sure they get it all the time.

Timlin

Six, why don't you phone ahead and ask them about the coffee grounds? That way if they think you're insane they won't know what you look like! :lol:

orgoveg
Green Thumb

The thing that keeps coming to mind for me is that the white filters are bleached. There are tan/brownish unbleached filters on the market. A few of the white ones wouldn't hurt anything, but I would hesitate to put loads of them in my compost.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”