norcalcook
Newly Registered

Help with garden on slope

So I'm totally new to this forum and semi-new to gardening. I've gathered a few families together to undertake creating a decent sized garden plot. Probably about 60ft by 100ft.

I've done some small time backyard gardening with a fair bit of success, but never anything of this scale or magnitude. I was hoping to find somewhere an easy 1, 2, 3, etc step guide to starting and effectively farming a small piece of land like this, but I've been coming up empty handed (if anyone has a basic guide it would be appreciated).

In addition to some basic steps, part of my issue lies in the slope- parts are at a 1% to 5% at the top of the lot.

Do I simply work to level this off? Create terraces (sounds like a lot of work and $), deal with the slope and erosion issues by simply planting accordingly.

We've got water to the land, the rocks have been cleared, getting ready to till, create rows, etc. Hoping to have seeds planted within 6 weeks (am I dreaming or is it doable).

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

With so many people involved, my suggestion is that all of you look to an established authority for guidance. I'd like to recommend two such:

1) Jon Jeavons, [url=https://www.bountifulgardens.org/prodinfo.asp?number=BEA-0301]How to Grow More Vegetables*[/url] (I own the 7th ed., but he *just* released the 8th). Available from Bountiful Gardens, Jeavons' company of long standing in Willits, California. There is also an outlet store, Common Grounds (I think?) in Palo Alto. He'll help you bring the land into production and make up planting plans without becoming overwhelmed. It may be that not all of the 60'x100' come into production the first season. See what he says.

2) Sunset [url=https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-new-western-garden-book-editors-of-sunset-magazine/1103420634?ean=9780376039217&itm=4&usri=western+garden+book]Western Garden Book[/url]. The "green bible" describes the Sunset climate zone system, designed to help select varieties which will thrive in your particular location. There is also an extensive "Practical Guide to Gardening" designed for new gardeners; it explains basic tools, how to install irrigation systems, and so on. But it's not organically oriented, necessarily....

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener, and happy gardening!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

joed2323

I plant on a slight slope as well, I wasnt sure how I would do my first year but my harvest turned out great.
Think about it, alot of corn fields I see are not perfectly flat, you take what you have and make the best of it.
Lots of corn fields are hilly. planted across my slope, not down the slope, and had no problems

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”