stella1751
Greener Thumb

Heating Cable

This winter, I experimented with starting some seeds that didn't germinate for me last year. After countless attempts, I managed to get five of these extremely low-viability seeds to give me plants. Yay. Now, however, one of them is roughly 2" away from hitting the fluorescents on my light table. I want to plant it, so I got the bed ready yesterday. Next Saturday, we will again see highs in the low 60's. I will plant it then.

Duh_Vinci gave me an idea with his Christmas lights set-up. Suppose I wrapped a pail in not Christmas lights but heat cable, which is used to keep pipes from freezing? It's 18' long so should go around the pail about four times. At night, I could put the pail over the plant, cover it with a tarp or blanket, and plug it in.

I've been studying the directions, and I think it will work. However, this one section in the directions is a little disconcerting. I don't really understand why it is saying what it is saying:

"Never install heating cable on plastic pipe unless pipe is filled with water at all times. Never spiral heating cable on pipes. Keep the heating cable straight along the pipe."

Also from the instructions, here's an explanation of how the heat cable works: "The thermostat turns the heating cable on when exposed to temperatures below 38. It will shut the heating cable off when the pipe has been heated to a temperature of approximately 45."

So, will this work? If not, I think I have some Christmas lights in the basement, but I'm not certain. If you think it will work, will electrician's tape serve to fasten it to the pail?

Thanks!

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

stella1751 wrote:If you think it will work, will electrician's tape serve to fasten it to the pail?
I wouldn't see why not..

Fig3825

While more expensive, you could probably use the same stuff that is intended for underfloor eating as well.

The tape can get hot, though, so it might melt a plastic bucket. I have no idea. Consider using a glavanized garbage can as you cover instead... They make them in 10, 20, 30, etc gallon capacities.

soil
Greener Thumb

we just cover ours with a bucket or plastic mini tunnels. we have had snow with tomatoes under them perfectly happy.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I like this kind of brainstorming! You have reminded me that I have a three-gallon galvanized steel mop bucket. That should take care of the cautionary warning about plastic pipes. It's not as deep as a five-gallon plastic pail, but I will be burying the plant to probably 8" inches above ground anyway, so height shouldn't be a factor for another month. After that, I might be able to get by with regular covers.

I don't want to go to a lot of expense for one wayward plant, and spring is just around the corner. This might enable me to have my cake and eat it too: An early plant that actually survives!

Thanks!

stella1751
Greener Thumb

soil wrote:we just cover ours with a bucket or plastic mini tunnels. we have had snow with tomatoes under them perfectly happy.
Odds are high we will go as low as 15 before May hits. Regular covers aren't good enough for April in central Wyoming, but they generally work fine in May. I need three or four weeks of extra warm covers for this one 8)

Fig3825

If you really want to save money, just lie the tape on the ground and throw a fire blanket over top of it in a manner that it doesn't touch the tape. The radiant heat will keep it toasty under the blanket...or plastic...or whatever. Hell, you could throw a cardboard box over it as long as the tape doesn't touch the box, then cover that with plastic so the box doesn't melt should it rain.

All you need is a cold frame of some sort to keep the covering material off the tape.

soil
Greener Thumb

wow 15 you have a challenge ahead of you. good luck.

how many plants are you trying to cover?

stella1751
Greener Thumb

It's 18' of cable, and according to the instructions, it must lie flat, so my best bet is to wrap it around something circular or cylindrical. I think the galvanized steel bucket will do the job.

Soil, today I only have one plant to worry about. There's another one coming along, but it is having problems, so I'm not worried about it. If it pulls out of its problems (probably nutritional), it will need to be planted in two weeks.

Normally, the lows are in the upper 20's at this time of the year. It has been a great spring, so I am hopeful we won't have a cold snap. Regular covers without an external heat source will protect plants from temps that drop down to, say, 26 to 28. Probably less in the spring, when the soil itself is still cold.

Cold snaps at this time of the year mean low teens and, in extremes, sub-zeroes. For example, the record low for tomorrow up here is -6. The plant needs to be transplanted for optimum growth, but I don't want to spend a night sunk in depression, knowing that the little guy won't live to see another sunrise :cry:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”