newtothisnj

question about plant placement

Was looking around online an also on thr forum but was wondering how I should place my corn peas bush beans pole beans watermelon cantaloupe tomatoes peppers. Was gonna put corn in the middle of everything then peas on one side pole beans on the other side then go from there. Is this a good or bad idea to do. Thank you for your help in advance know that placement is key.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I don't think it really matters that much as long as you give the plants enough space.

One thing that has been done if space is at a premium; plant the corn then when it is 4 inches tall, plant pole beans next to it. The beans will climb the corn so you don't need to build a trellis. If nitrogen fixing bacteria are present, they will colonize on the bean roots and fix nitrogen the corn can use. Personally I prefer to keep these plantings separate.

Beans planted on either side of the corn and within 30 inches, will still give that boost to the corn because of the extent to which the roots of both plants reach.

Watermelons and cants vine and don't seem to mind crawling off through the corn patch.

applestar
Mod

Peas have sprouted and are are growing in my garden now -- hoping to see them start taking off soon. In one bed, earliest rows of peas will be replaced by corn after harvest. In another, watermelon will be planted in available space where peas are and take over after the peas are gone. Bush beans are succeeding peas in yet another.

In 4th bed, I intend to plant okra between two rows of peas, then replace them with pole beans later to hopefully climb the okra when they've outgrown the pea trellis.

Tomatoes are going in after arugula and turnip in one row and taking over from telephone pole PEAS behind carrots elsewhere. Pole beans will eventually share a part of the tomato trellis.

Melons going in a row (currently a path) between rows of cabbages/broccoli/kohlrabi and will take over their space after harvest.

In another bed, sweet potatoes will be planted between fava beans to take over the space after harvest and pole beans will be planted on a trellis along one end.

Whew! :lol:

Oh! Peppers -- hot peppers are going in an open row (currently hosting some stray wandering strawberries and a massive patch of volunteer dill which will be either transplanted or weeded/culled) between onions in the front and okra going in front of a double row of late peas. Sweet peppers are going in after fava beans in a bed bordered with onions. They don't like it too hot so this bed gets noon shade.

Hope that gives you some ideas. :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”