erica2424
Newly Registered

Help Identifying and treating disease/insect

Hi folks,
I need some help identifying a disease/insect problem my tomato plants and now my peppers and eggplant (my herbs all seem healthy though... see pictures below for leaf symptoms). I just planted these last week and pre-planting they all looked healthy. We put a weed barrier of newspapers under our mulch and I am worried that there is too much moisture being retained due to this barrier. Identification of the problem and any ideas/suggestions on treatment would be amazingly useful! Thanks!
ImageImageImageImage

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

looks like a sunburn to me, not disease or insects. my guess would be that the plant's weren't hardened off completely when they went outside.

erica2424
Newly Registered

!potatoes! wrote:looks like a sunburn to me, not disease or insects. my guess would be that the plant's weren't hardened off completely when they went outside.
hmmm possible, but it's only on the lower leaves of the plants. I would have thought the upper leaves would be affected too if it was just sunburn. Anything I can do about it?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

erica2424 wrote:hmmm possible, but it's only on the lower leaves of the plants. I would have thought the upper leaves would be affected too if it was just sunburn. Anything I can do about it?
the leaves that are about level, I.e. are perpendicular to the sun's rays when it is at it's most direct, will be affected. upper leaves that are still forming are often sticking up more. it shouldn't be a problem after the initial burn (so if it indeed keeps happening, we're wrong, report back!)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”