gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Celery and Taters in the ground

I decided to plant some potatoes this year and since I had three 30 gallon plastic garbage cans I can no longer use for city pick-up, I decided to use 2 of them as planters for taters. I cut them down to about 24 inches tall, filled about half way up with soil/compost mix and stuck in the spuds. I decided on Yukon Gold since the wife and I both like them. I'll add more soil/compost as they grow.

I also planted about 40 celery plants that I had already started in 2x2 cells. I haven't grown celery in years and am looking forward to some home grown this year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I love how this place gives me ideas! I too have a plastic garbage can that I can't use any more. I put it out with the recycling, but they didn't take it. So, maybe I will steal your idea and recycle it myself into another potato container! Thanks!

Keep us posted how it goes.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:I love how this place gives me ideas! I too have a plastic garbage can that I can't use any more. I put it out with the recycling, but they didn't take it. So, maybe I will steal your idea and recycle it myself into another potato container! Thanks!

Keep us posted how it goes.
Will do. I'm sure this is likely not necessary, but do remember to cut some holes in the bottom for drainage. I'm lucky in that my garbage men dragged and tossed them about so much, they had built in drainage holes already in them by the time I planted the spuds.

Also, I cut them as cleanly as I could at the 2 ft. level and saved the upper portion of the can. If they grow like I believe they will, I'll simply slip the upper portion over the lower portion to further extend the growing container to about 3 ft. tall.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”