tkend44
Newly Registered

Zuccini plants coming back like a perennial??

I went out to look at my garden to get ready for planting, and I am baffled by what I found! where I had my row of zuccini plants last summer, were small plants that I first thought were weeds. I realized though that they were coming up right from where they were planted last year. I did not clean my garden at the end of the season, and it appears that even some of the plants/weeds are sprouting on old stalks?? Connecticut had one of the mildest winters on record, and I am thinking that with all the dead grass and plants on top of my garden all winter that the roots maybe survived beneath the frost line? The leaves look identical to small zuccini plants, but there are many more leaves than is normal? Some seeds may have been on the ground from zuccini that wasnt picked, but the root system seems too developed for that. I don't usually sow zuccini until may, but we had a series of days this March that were in the high 70's and even low 80's....I don't know if I should let a couple grow to see what happens, but if they are weeds it would waste my space. Any input would be great, thanks[/b]

SPierce
Greener Thumb

If you have the room, let them go and see what happens! I'm next door to ya in MA, and the only reason I don't have anything coming back right now is because I did an extra layer of straw/leaves and dirt on top of that to add a little extra organic matter.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I've had that happen before. Except this baby zuc plant was growing in the middle of my backyard, 30+ yards from the main garden.

I let it grow to a pretty decent size zuc plant, but it didn't produce many zucs. I just recently noticed baby basil and dill plants growing in the garden....and it's been over a year since I've had them in the garden. :shock:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”